Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many hours to install clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eviladam
................WTF would I do a "precision" anything on a f*cking $3500 car? If I had $10k or more invested in the purchase of a car it sure as hell wouldnt have been a 944 nor would I reuse parts.
The majority of the members do not have your experience and should not be misinformed as to the difficulty and time needed to do a proper clutch replacement.

Advising members to cut corners is not the intention of the forums where members who post want to help the OP with the best procedures and parts available---and not have to do a "do over" later.

I've had my "$3500" car for over 12 years and I will always use the best parts available. It is Porsche Pride of ownership. No member will ever get the money out of the car that was put in. It is not the price of the car, it is the satisfaction of getting behind the wheel and driving knowing you did the work.

Back on the topic, Centerforce puts out a great "Clutch diagnostic PDF"

http://media.centerforce.com/DiagGui...cGuide04DL.pdf

John
Old 10-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the non-OEM clutch kit offered at Vertex. I've been happy with it so far (about 20,000 miles). It is a spring centered disk and I believe it did say made in Italy.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:31 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just did a clutch job on a 87 n/a. Had a friend help and with the two of us working steady we did it in 11 hrs. It's a big job. While we were in there we did the RMS, clutch fork bearings, pilot bearing. And used new flywheel bolts and clutch bolts. In retrospect I wish I had ordered new exhaust gaskets and bolts.
The speed sensor clips broke and crumbled a's I touched them. So I will need new ones.
The clutch still needs to be bled but I will do that with with the brakes.
Only time we had to run to the auto parts store is when we realized we didn't have the 12 point bit for the drive shafts. I would do the job for $1000 but not for less.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Oh I got the clutch kit from eBay for $460. Then all the other parts from pelican. Figure I had $525 in parts. The clutch was a sachs spring center. And used about 50pairs of china freight latex gloves.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

I have done 951 for 5 hours and S2 4 hours. I am just in the middle of 968 Tiptronic damper (clutch location) it's pita job to do and since this is my first time (and also the last), it will take far more than 10 hours.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a little off subject... but how can I tell if my clutch is original?
bought my s2 last april with no service history from jerk second owner who only had the car 1year . lost all the original guys records . measurement says 9mm of wear left ( per clarks garage ) ...
did all the major service stuff and a lot more.
im in it for the long haul now , besides I LOVE THE CAR !
car is 1990 s2 with 89000 mi
should I just wait till it goes?
alot of guys here use the sachs spring center.
no track, spirited street only.

thanks i love learning!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsePerVita
SHhhhhhh we must question it not, or the Porsche gods will smite us and cause torque tube bearings to fail everywhere!

surely you Jest... those same Porsche Gods are right here on Rennlist.... 7, 9, 12 hours to do any clutch on any car is ridiculous. this is how the factory supported the dealers selling the cheaper cars. just recoup the lost money from Jr. doing burnouts. justice.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
I have done 951 for 5 hours and S2 4 hours. I am just in the middle of 968 Tiptronic damper (clutch location) it's pita job to do and since this is my first time (and also the last), it will take far more than 10 hours.
There is the right way to do it...and there is the "right way".

With air tools, and some easy short cuts, I was estimating the time for a clutch job to be between 6-8 hours. There was someone on Pelican (if I remember correctly), that showed the "right" way to remove the trans. Again, if I remember correctly, it took just over an hour to get it on the ground.

Though, a simple 3 hour water pump took 12 because of stripped/corroded studs .... So there is always some unpleasantness with a 25+ year old car.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just finished re-doing my clutch, third time on a 944. No problem getting the trans out in an hour, if you start the clock after the car is safely up on jackstands. And the cheeseheads are clean. I did it without a lift, although I don't know if a lift makes it faster. I can't believe the 4 - 6 hour estimates include any time for cleaning up parts that don't really have to be clean (like the trans and BH), but an owner would take the time to do, and it must assume the flywheel isn't being turned at a shop. Getting the two top BH bolts can take an hour if they are galled.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fittrjoe
a little off subject... but how can I tell if my clutch is original?
bought my s2 last april with no service history from jerk second owner who only had the car 1year . lost all the original guys records . measurement says 9mm of wear left ( per clarks garage ) ...
did all the major service stuff and a lot more.
im in it for the long haul now , besides I LOVE THE CAR !
car is 1990 s2 with 89000 mi
should I just wait till it goes?
alot of guys here use the sachs spring center.
no track, spirited street only.

thanks i love learning!
Hi ...joe,

I took a look at the late '89-91 944 PET and the clutch disc listed is the spring centered 944 116 011 02. Earlier cars used an OEM rubber center disc.

If you measured correctly per Clarks---I stick a deep well socked in the hole fitting tightly and measure the socket---9mm is still good and don't worry about it.

IF---IF by chance you do have a rubber center clutch disc, remove the starter and check for 1/8"-1/4" pieces of rubber. This would indicate that the rubber center disc is deterioating.

GL
John
Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM
fittrjoe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey thanx John!
thats good to know...
guess i did not research it well enough ...spring centered, thats awesome.
yeah I had the starter out when I replaced the slave, did an inspection... all good , no rubber.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The S2 does have the rubber centered clutch. I have pulled plenty of them out of S2's.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:14 AM
John_AZ
Rennlist Member

Thanks Doc I was not sure.

John
Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Here is a pic of the clutch i took out. It didn't slip at all but the rubber burning smell was making me dizzy.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seafeye
Here is a pic of the clutch i took out. It didn't slip at all but the rubber burning smell was making me dizzy.

Yea, they won't slip when the rubber center comes apart, but eventually you will have a really hard time getting it in gear. Looks like a pretty typical rubber centered disc after 20 years!

Quick Reply: How many hours to install clutch?