Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator belt keeps coming off!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 09:41 PM
davidhertig
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Alternator belt keeps coming off!!!!

newbie here... My dad was the original owner of my 924 ('81), and he gave it to me when I turned 16. Not being stupid, i left it in the garage, keeping good care of it, until I was mature enough to handle it. Now i'm 20, and I finally started driving the thing. It runs great (65k miles), except that the alternator belt comes off about every 3,000 miles or less. It's a real pain in the butt!!!! It's happened about 6 times to me, a couple times on the freeway, once at 4:30 in the morning.

Anyone else have that problem? And is there a solution? I don't like being scared everytime I get in it, thinking the belt is going to come off, and my car is going to soon overheat...

Thanks a lot!
Dave
Old 03-15-2002, 09:51 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have an old belt it is probably shot, so replace that. Only a couple bucks.

At the same time you want to look at the pullies, the alignment of the pullies all in the same plane, as well as tensioning properly and, finally, the bits like alternator are all secured tightly and don't wobble around.

There is a good chance that the belt is 20 years old and about as dead as belts ever get.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:29 AM
davidhertig
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the first belt that broke was pretty old, but that was quite a while ago. Since then, I've been putting on brand new belts, and they keep breaking.. I'm kind of thinking that the alternator shakes itself loose, and the belt rubs against the tensioner bolt until it wears throguh...but I'm no expert. I'll make sure to keep the alternator nice and tight, and check it every week...
Old 03-16-2002, 12:22 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i also have a 81 924, check the bottom bolt, i had the head stick out a little too far and cut my bolt. Besides that i reccommend replacing those rubber bushing mount also at the bottom and i might be wrong but i think there are rubber bushings between the alt. and the braket on top. If you need more info <a href="http://www.924.org" target="_blank">www.924.org</a> is a very good site with there web board, those guys are a lot more 924 involved.

Mark
Old 03-16-2002, 05:25 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If an alternator is not mounted rock solid it can chew up belts like no tomorrow. They draw quite a bit of power when you load them up and the resulting flex of the alternator gets the belt. And it doesn't take much slop to do it.

If the 924 alternator has rubber bushings I would look at them for the flex culprit and replace.

Quick Reply: Alternator belt keeps coming off!!!!