Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb with a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010 | 12:06 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Default Newb with a few Q's

Hello everyone! I have loved the 944's since I was a kid and am currently in the market for one. It would be my first Porsche. I have found a couple local that interest me and the one that is closest to me has my interests peaked. The car is not without some issues and I have read and been through lots of threads on this site to try to find a possible answer to them.

The closest car is an 85 (not sure yet if 1 or 2) N/A. Some of the issues:

1)The (!) light is on and the car stumbles and idles really low and rough on startup. Runs quite rich and a little grey smoke as well.

2)There is also another light near the base of the steering column on the left side that is illuminated.

3)Fuel gauge and AC does not work.

4)There is a sensor or some sort of connector at the rear of the fuel rail that is not plugged in, and it appears that the pigtail and socket are missing.... what is the item unplugged?

Has some other typical issues like the glovebox and the console hinge as well as a couple cracks in the dash and hatch leaks a little. Car has had a respray, although cheaper, it looks nice (forgiving some overspray here). Its a nice looking car, but the issues with it have me worried. Odometer shows 109000.

How does one pull the codes on this vehicle to see where the issues are? Id like to know if it is a relatively easy fix before I drop 3500 on a car with issues that could cost in the several thousands to repair. I guess I may need to just go and pick up a Haynes manual for the car before buying. There are no maintenance records on the car.

The second vehicle is about 1.5hours away and is an 87 944 N/A. Has about 208000 on it but has had the engine rebuilt in the last 10K miles and several other upgrades (MAF conversion, shocks, a few other items)... I have not yet seen the car in person, but looks decent from the pics, although the seats have some sort of cover, so I would like to get them reupholstered eventually. No issues were mentioned in the ad, but the guy has extensive records on the maintenance on the car. He is asking 4500 for it, and it my be worth it with all the maintenance done, but the mileage has me worried.

Help in Upstate SC
Old 09-28-2010 | 12:22 AM
wanta944
Instructor

No maintenance records? Stay far, far away from the first one.

As for the second one - well, high mileage w/ lots of service records shouldn't be of concern. Here's my recent purchase thread - mine has 224k miles on it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...tos-added.html

Oh, and I hear that the Haynes manual is pretty much worthless. I'd just look online for DIY's.
Old 09-28-2010 | 12:29 AM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wanta944

Oh, and I hear that the Haynes manual is pretty much worthless. I'd just look online for DIY's.
i would disagree. its a good reference to lots of procedures. i use it as a supplement to http://www.clarks-garage.com since they dont have much pictures. although they do have some steps and the other might not have or is not included, a good reference indeed if you have trouble with something.
Old 09-28-2010 | 12:31 AM
wanta944
Instructor

That is true, and it is cheap. I just hear a big complaint is that the details are lacking, to say it nice.

I don't know from personal experience, I just wish that there was a Bentley manual for the 944. I have one for my GTI - it goes overboard to the extreme with the details.
Old 09-28-2010 | 12:40 AM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

haynes manuals are hella cheap. like 30 bucks for the ones still in shrink wrap.

clarks garage is an abundance because they edit it out with stuff people have experienced over the years like keeping the headers on when removing the head; some people have been able to do this, some have not.

im not too familiar with the Bentley manual....but the factory shop manuals i have for pdf for my moms van and the 944 on CD. they are good enough to get the job done plus a free download LOLOL.
Old 09-28-2010 | 02:32 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

The second vehicle is about 1.5hours away and is an 87 944 N/A. Has about 208000 on it but has had the engine rebuilt in the last 10K miles and several other upgrades (MAF conversion, shocks, a few other items)... I have not yet seen the car in person, but looks decent from the pics, although the seats have some sort of cover, so I would like to get them reupholstered eventually. No issues were mentioned in the ad, but the guy has extensive records on the maintenance on the car. He is asking 4500 for it, and it my be worth it with all the maintenance done, but the mileage has me worried.

Help in Upstate SC [/QUOTE]

Welcome to Rennlist, you took the rigth steps by coming here & asking questions before putting your money on any 944.If like your saying it had a rebuilt in the last 10k miles & if maintenance is up to date I wouldn't worry that much about mileage.Someting very important you didn't mention is the clutch you'll have to find out when it was done the last time & how many miles on it,important because replacing the clutch on a 944 can be a very expensive proposition & a PITA ,also the tranny make sure it's without issues & shifting is good in all gears.A golden rule before buying is to get a PPI on it from a very good mechanic that you can trust and is familiar with 944 ,here a small list of things that should be check (CV axles/wheels bearings / all rubber bushing on the suspension components/tie rods end/brakes/steering rack & boots/power steering pump & hoses for any leaks) & check the car for any electrical gremlins exemples ( all gauges working correctly/ power windows/ mirrors/trunk & sunroof).Your are buying a 23 yrs old car witch I'm sure is not perfect don't matter how well kept it was there will be little problems poping up you got to expect that ,but by getting a PPI from a good mechanic you will minimize troubles for yourself .Also if he find something wrong you go back to the seller with dealing power.As for the price I rather not comment on it since I haven't seen the car.Good luck
Old 09-28-2010 | 08:45 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Thanks for the input everyone. Im not afraid or lacking experience in automotive repair. Im just lacking experience in European cars (with exception of car audio). Im a maintenance tech for a living, so I am used to chasing down electrical problems, that doesnt scare me ..LOL.The part that kinda does worry me (but in reality doesnt) is the lack of records on the one car. This would mean that I would want to do the belts and clutch almost right away. Changing the clutch in any car is a long process, but Im understanding that it is worse on the 944. This car is not going to be relegated to DD status, but will see its fair share of 100+ mile round trips in a day.

but the factory shop manuals i have for pdf for my moms van and the 944 on CD. they are good enough to get the job done plus a free download LOLOL.
Free download? Do tell...

No maintenance records? Stay far, far away from the first one.

As for the second one - well, high mileage w/ lots of service records shouldn't be of concern. Here's my recent purchase thread - mine has 224k miles on it.
The mileage worries me more than the lack of records. 200K miles is alot on any car and Im more worried about worn suspension components and a tranny/transaxle rebuild on a car with over 200K compared to 100K. Either way it sounds like its gonna be pay for a recent rebuild and records, or save some $$ and basically take the risk of having to rebuild everything....

Anyone have any ideas as to the issues I listed in the first post for the first car??
Old 09-28-2010 | 09:42 AM
SteveIX51
Advanced

the car stumbles and idles really low and rough on startup. Runs quite rich and a little grey smoke as well.
There is a sensor or some sort of connector at the rear of the fuel rail that is not plugged in, and it appears that the pigtail and socket are missing.... what is the item unplugged?
Hmm, from what you describe, it kind of sounds like the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator has simply come off. That could certainly cause rough idle and fuel metering problems, and I can see how it would look like a connector with no pigtail / socket. It would also be a 5 sec fix (assuming there is nothing wrong with the connection).
Old 09-28-2010 | 09:55 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Its definitely an electrical connector (1/2" in diameter with 3 or 4 pins in it, cant remember for sure). It was directly at the rear of the fuel rail.

Im wondering if the car has a later motor in it or something because I have never seen anything electrical in any of the pictures I have seen of 944 engines connected in that location..
Old 09-28-2010 | 10:02 AM
AScholtes
Pro

Also, I have talked to the guy with the car that is about an hour or so away. He stated that the car was previously owned by the Porsche Club in Raleigh NC and a Porsche mechanic. He is fairly certain that the clutch was replaced when the motor was rebuilt about 12K miles ago by the Porsche mechanic. The car was supposed to be being built for his daughter, but she lost interest in it and wanted something else so he sold it. He says the same thing for the trans and axle. He said he was not certain but would look back through the records he has on the car ($12000 in receipts and records) to verify. No electrical issues at all, the only issue the car has is that the washer fluid does not spray. So I will likely go with that one if we can strike a deal on the price.
Old 09-28-2010 | 11:57 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by AScholtes
Also, I have talked to the guy with the car that is about an hour or so away. He stated that the car was previously owned by the Porsche Club in Raleigh NC and a Porsche mechanic. He is fairly certain that the clutch was replaced when the motor was rebuilt about 12K miles ago by the Porsche mechanic. The car was supposed to be being built for his daughter, but she lost interest in it and wanted something else so he sold it. He says the same thing for the trans and axle. He said he was not certain but would look back through the records he has on the car ($12000 in receipts and records) to verify. No electrical issues at all, the only issue the car has is that the washer fluid does not spray. So I will likely go with that one if we can strike a deal on the price.
I simply can't understand peoples buying an early 944 with a piles of issues,so you got experience in auto repair but do you really want to spend half your time crawling under the car and skining your nuckles in the engine bay instead of enjoying & driving a well sorte out car with a fresh motor & minimum problemes. If the way that 87 is as you discribe it and was own by a mechanic & he did a rebuilt on it, could very well be that he done the clutch at the same knowing that he wouldn't have to come back on it since it's a PITA and time consuming job to do .Also your getting a car witch is two years younger so not very hard to do the matts here .If the winshield washer is the only issues on it, it's peanuts & can be fixe easily ,the money you'll spend fixing the 85 you can put on some nice suspension upgrade on the 87 & have a real nice machine to drive around with, but it's your choice & your money if it was me I'll stay away from the 85 & buy the 87,talking from experiences here since I've been around P cars since the 70s owne a 944 for 26 yrs & now a 968 .
Old 09-28-2010 | 11:59 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Advice: Do not buy the first car... You will never enjoy it; you will have $10k invested into it by the end of the year, and it will still have issues! ha ha

The 2nd car sounds a little more promising...

There are always new 944 listings every week, be patient and buy the "most perfect example" you can find! I would say bite the bullet and spend atleast $5,000 on a really nice 944. Even a perfect 25 year old car will have hidden issues... But cars with obvious issues also come with lots of hidden issues...

Maintenance Records are very important! Timing Belt/Water Pump should be really recent!

Buying from a PCA member is a great idea because A: They probably took a lot of pride maintaining the car, B: They are less likely to rip you off, because you can/will see them on forums and at events...
Old 09-28-2010 | 12:08 PM
AScholtes
Pro

I dont disagree at all. Trust me, I would much rather drive a car than wrench on one, I do enough wrenching at work ... I was worried about the mileage on the chassis. After speaking to the owner of the 87, I am taking the drive up there tomorrow and look at it (maybe buy it). He said the paint is a 7 out of 10, but I cant expect much more for a 23YO car... maybe all it will need is a scuff and buff from my body guy and it will be good enough for me

Either way, I have decided against the 85 entirely, just too many issues for me to make a clear minded decision on it. So, if the 87 is a no go, then I will wait until I find one that is. He said he has the business card for the Porsche mechanic (PO) that did the work on the car and will include it with all the documentation. All in all my worries were set at ease on the mileage and knowing that the work was done by a Porsche mechanic.
Old 09-28-2010 | 12:14 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Smile

Will like to know where you'r located just in case we find somthing nice & decent not to far from you ,we can then let you know.and you decided on the 87.
Old 09-28-2010 | 12:19 PM
AScholtes
Pro

LOL.. Im located a couple thousand miles from you.. In the Upstate region of South Carolina.. I guess I need to fill out my info in my profile

Quick Reply: Newb with a few Q's