Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo upgrade project - few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:34 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo upgrade project - few questions...

I'm gearing up for my turbo replacement and have a few questions...

1) I'm looking to pre-emptively purchase a Timesert kit to fix a few bolts I know will probably not tighten down after pulling the intake this time around. Does anyone know offhand what size (eg: M7 X 1.00) that the intake and fuel rail bolts are? I've done a couple helicoils and had a helluva time feeling like I was lined up straight at the angle I had to work with that hand turner on the cutting blade. It seems like it's so easy to get that hole started crooked. I found these taps on the Timesert site - looks cool as they allow you to use a ratchet - any suggestions? http://www.timesert.com/html/usefultools.html

2) What parts do I need to do an AOS re-seal? Is it just the two o-rings?

3) What parts do I need to redo the o-ring on the dipstick? I can't find those on pelican.

I'm replacing my stock turbo with a Vitesse Stage 2. I bought the turbo from docwyte though - so I may be missing some stuff that was originally shipped with the turbo.

In John's documentation - I read this.

"At the base of the turbo (Oil drain hole), keep the "OLD" rubber O-ring on the
engine mount and use the supplied paper gasket between mount & Turbo."
What is the paper gasket? Is this unique to John's install or is there a part I need to pick up or can you just make this thing?

What else is good to do 'while you're in there'?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:23 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

here you go!

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Part...NSOILMISC.html

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944TURBOMISC.html
Old 09-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The AOS is just two o-rings.

The dipstick is just one o-ring.

The paper gasket helps to seal the oil drain for the center cartridge of the turbo. KKK center cartridges are a circular hole, while John uses a center cartridge with a square hole. It's there for added sealing.

You will have to do one of two things with the turbo coolant pipe. Either modify it by cutting/extending/bending, or use the adapter supplied by John. I chose to use the adapter and therefore had to delete the front manifold bracket. All it really does is hold up the balance shaft heat shield, so I fabricated a bracket to clear the waterpipe. Also NAPA sells a low profile temperature sensor that you can install in place of the old sensor if you have issues with it clearing the manifold.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:49 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got John's turbo coolant pipe modification - docwyte already had it, so I think I'm good there.

So, where do I get the paper gasket thing?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Its been so long since i did this but if i remember right you need a T3/T4 oil drain gasket. This basically goes inbetween the original o-ring and the oil outlet flange on the turbo.

Quick Reply: Turbo upgrade project - few questions...