Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for a PPI in Northern Virginia nr Falls Church

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:44 AM
funkysi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for a PPI in Northern Virginia nr Falls Church

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2010, 10:07 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I used to go to Auto Sportsystems Group in Merrifield (near Multiplex Cinemas) back when I still paid people to work on my car. Taylor was the mechanic who usually worked on my car and is very knowledgable although he has since moved on to his own place (I forget exactly where). Still, I'd have no problems bringing my car to them.

BB.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

There or intersport, off of spring hill near tysons.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:41 PM
wanta944
Instructor

It's not exactly right in the area you asked for, but it's worth the drive to go out to IMA motorsport in Chantilly.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:43 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wanta944
It's not exactly right in the area you asked for, but it's worth the drive to go out to IMA motorsport in Chantilly.
Not if the car he is looking to buy is from IMA...
Old 09-25-2010, 04:01 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by funkysi
Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks

ppi's are ok for our cars, i guess. important for 944 turbos.... super-critical for high-end Porsches.

you getting a 996 GT3 ?

othewise, inspect the records for timing system and H20 pump... pop the rear hatch, check the body, carpets for water/wet leaves in rear of the engine bay/clogs/rot behind the top and corners of the windshield... and the rest of the body for repairs/bondo/plastic/resprays.... check the bellypan, wait for the oilspill, observe the half or fully rotted suspension and swaybar bushings, feel the soaking wet ps lines (technically a fire hazard), shake the control arms, feel the wear on the dead rotors, check the coolant reservior for past meltdowns, (unless replacing headgaskets is your cup of tea), slam the throttle in nuetral... is the car returning to smooth idle normally ??? wait for the fans to come on, by placing a towel over the front of the car to block airflow momentarily.... wait for the car to overheat etc, now take her out and drive it hard... is the car shifing okay, again, returning to smooth idle when you let off the gas ?

get her home and put some drygas in the tank and drive the tank down to near empty.

after you do that, replace fuel filter, spark plugs, and distributor rotor (they get very brittle, come apart, and destroy your distributor cap, leaving you stranded).....

replace the fuel lines in the engine bay. you might die.

next, do the timing/bs belts and rollers SOON. change the oil in the transmission, as it's probably been years....
Old 09-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by cparkin
There or intersport, off of spring hill near tysons.
Second on Intersport. They know 944s. If you need something near Manassas, then Convenience Car Care.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:11 AM
SteveIX51
Advanced

I also second Intersport. If there's anything wrong with it, they'll find it.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 AM
savowood
Advanced

Intersport's reputation comes largely from the work Taylor Chapman did there. Therefore, go see Taylor. I used to live in Falls Church and would drive down to German Auto Group to have Taylor work on my car. There's nobody better in the DC area. I wish I had a person like Taylor here in Austin.

Take the beltway around to 95 south. The exit for Backlick Rd. takes you right past the shop. As you come off the exit, you'll see it on the right. Turn right at the first place you can and come back up to the shop.

http://taylorchapman.com/default.aspx

-Michael
Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by savowood
Intersport's reputation comes largely from the work Taylor Chapman did there. Therefore, go see Taylor. I used to live in Falls Church and would drive down to German Auto Group to have Taylor work on my car. There's nobody better in the DC area. I wish I had a person like Taylor here in Austin.

Take the beltway around to 95 south. The exit for Backlick Rd. takes you right past the shop. As you come off the exit, you'll see it on the right. Turn right at the first place you can and come back up to the shop.

http://taylorchapman.com/default.aspx

-Michael
Charlie (still at Intersport) is also very good -- and still at Intersport.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 PM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Through 20 years of driving street and race 928s and 944s in the NOVA area, I'm left with these opinions... Taylor has always done good work. ASG does also even without Taylor. I've heard good things about Intersport and Charlie Murphy's level of knowledge of 944s, but don't have any personal experience. Stan Fox at RPM is a knowledgeable 944 guy and has always done a good job with my cars. Curry's is a well-run organization and I would trust them not to BS you. Convenience has probably the best customer service of anyone and has prepped some nice 944s. Mitch Piper is the best fabricator. Funktion Auto also impressed me with some knowledgeable mechanics, but I don't know of anyone 944-specific. Unless something has radically changed in the last two years, stay as far away from IMA as you can.

Steve
Old 09-28-2010, 03:11 AM
mylesfast
Instructor

Whats wrong with IMA. Id been mulling trying them out
Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 AM
strandolph
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Send you a PM.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for a PPI in Northern Virginia nr Falls Church