Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002 | 11:17 PM
sb944
Advanced

Post Wheel noise

Hi guys, need some help on an issue.

Since getting my car 9 months ago the sound inside the car when going over 100 km/h was always very loud, but I put it down to the fact that I've never owned a car that's so close to the wheels and possible noise from the torque tube also. Since I drive it to work every day, I don't get to that speed often so it doesn't bother me.

Later on I realised the sound would almost disappear when turning left, changing lanes to the left etc. The noise stays loud when turning right, or changing lanes to the right. I figured the old tyres that came with the car would need replacing before that noise went away, so I forgot about it again.

Just recently, a month after buying 4 new tyres, I realise the noise is still there and still disappears when turning to the left. And when I try to focus exactly where the noise comes from I keep thinking it's the passenger side rear wheel. The ride is very smooth by the way, upto at least 140 km/h since getting the new tyres.

Does anyone know if there would be a reason for the wheel being noisier except when turning to the left and whether it would be an expensive repair needed? I am going to my mechanic early next week, but I'd like to go armed with some information otherwise I could get shot in the wallet.

Sam.
Old 03-13-2002 | 11:20 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

My guess is wheel bearings...
If they're really bad, you can jack the car up and grab each wheel and try to move it around...(not spinning it )...if it moves I think wheel bearings is your answers (in the rear).

Quick Reply: Wheel noise