Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace tension roller without removing belts or re-do timing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replace tension roller without removing belts or re-do timing.

Howdy folks. As some of you may or may not know, my silver 86 NA had something go wrong in the belt area of the engine. Well i got the PS and AC/alternator belts off and AFM and such off and out of the way. Took the belt cover off and some ball bearings fell out along with a warped metal ring. located the failed component and it is the timing belt tension roller. Don't really know what to say about it other than it just came apart. i suspect due to age and the combo of new belts and the belts being too tight (last time my babies ever go to a shop, doing everything myself from now on)

Now, the car was still in running condition and in time. the timing belt hasn't jumped or been damaged. I haven't moved the belts or any of the rollers since i drove the car up on the ramps and started taking things apart to get the belt cover off.

My plan is to remove the failed tension roller and replace it with a new one without having to do anything else. Just pulled the bad one out, and slide the new one in, and then set to correct tension. Does this seem feasible? the timing belt is still attached to everything else, and in time, just with no tension from the failed tension roller.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:11 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose you could get away with it.

Just be careful not to damage the belt or cross thread it?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

well if anything it was a good learning experience. I know how to get to and do my own belts. I know now that rollers should be replaced when you do your belts if you don't know the history on them. And if your car sounds like it has a supercharger on it re-tension those belts TODAY and not when you "have time" else something like this will happen and "have time" will become "make time." =)
Old 09-22-2010, 01:55 PM
krystar
Drifting

it's....try-able. but dunno if u can get a new timing roller in there w/o removing the BS belt.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

well the old one easily came out without having to mess with the BS belt. waiting for the new one to arrive, we shall see if goes back in as easy. Will let y'all know how it goes once i get the part in and put back together.

Quick Reply: replace tension roller without removing belts or re-do timing.