Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why only one turn single indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002 | 09:38 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post Why only one turn single indicator?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why German vehicles have only one turn signal indicator light while most American/Japanese cars have one for the right and left?

Is it because the Germans assume you are smart enough to know which way you are turning?
Old 10-18-2002 | 09:41 AM
dave120
Drifting

That's probably it...they assume you know whether you pulled the stick up or down so you should know what you're doing. Over here you need to have the car tell you everything because the general American public is too stupid to know. And judging by the way most people here drive, I believe it. Then again it could just be because they wanted to save a couple bucks on an extra indicator? It's more simple with just one and it's not exactly hard to tell which one you turned on is it?
Old 10-18-2002 | 09:43 AM
sweanders
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by fpena944:
<strong>Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why German vehicles have only one turn signal indicator light while most American/Japanese cars have one for the right and left?

Is it because the Germans assume you are smart enough to know which way you are turning?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's only a design thing... Probably related to the fact that less is more when it comes to cars.

In Europe we don't have the stupid warning in the rear view mirror... I have never figured out the meaning of that thing.

/A
Old 10-18-2002 | 10:18 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by sweanders:
<strong>In Europe we don't have the stupid warning in the rear view mirror... I have never figured out the meaning of that thing./A</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, I did. It's called BLIND SPOT.
Old 10-18-2002 | 10:23 AM
muztangFB
Intermediate

I think it is probably a less is more, save some money thing. My 65 Mustang btw only has one turn signal indicator too. I think it was just one of those things that got added as car companies competed to see who could make the most gadgets for a car. Porsche probably didnt see the point in it, so they saved the effort of putting it in.
Old 10-18-2002 | 10:24 AM
sweanders
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by Luis de Prat:
<strong>

Unfortunately, I did. It's called BLIND SPOT.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know what the blind spot is and I don't understand how a text saying "Object in mirror may be closer than they appear to be." can have anything to do with that.

Doesn't all theoretical and practical tests for a drivers license include verification of tha the student knows and takes the blind spot in caution?

BTW, why Caps Lock?
Old 10-18-2002 | 10:27 AM
2+2
Pro

LOL!! When I first bought the car, that is th first thing that my wife picked up on when I took her for a spin. She said something to the effect of "what the hell...how cheap is that!!??"
It is a bit weired...I have the original sticker for the car and it was $47.5K....and they only gave me one blinker on the dash!!!
Old 10-18-2002 | 10:37 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

I noticed that on my first 944 test drive! First thought was "Gotta love those Germans...they expect precision in everything, including knowing which way you are turning!"

I never attributed it to cheapness...just a common sense assumption!

Yet, these same engineers put the window controls in the worst place, and the power lock switch WAY over on the shift console!? D'oh!
Old 10-18-2002 | 10:45 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Convex side mirrors carry the warning on American cars. Early 944s had flat mirrors and a blind spot about the size of Albania.

It's true that the American DOT makes very few assumptions and emphasizes safety warnings more than European homologations, which often compromises auto aesthetics, but they make sense for the general public which aren't necessarily enthusiasts.

In fact, a few of the U.S. DOT standards apparently make sense to some European automakers. The new Ferrari Enzo has separate turn left/right buttons which I believe double as indicators. They're conveniently located on the steering wheel.

OTOH I don't like the 5 mph bumpers or gaudy sidemarker lights either, but I'll admit the bumpers are practical for parking. The extra lights are are a step away from DRLs (daytime running lights), which I think are mandatory on new cars in places like Canada, whereas in Europe I get warnings from other drivers for using my foglights on gray days.

Caps lock was to differentiate the defined term. Haven't figured out italicizing yet.

BTW, what have you done about the scratch on your car?
Old 10-18-2002 | 01:12 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

[quote]Originally posted by sweanders:
<strong>

I know what the blind spot is and I don't understand how a text saying "Object in mirror may be closer than they appear to be." can have anything to do with that.

Doesn't all theoretical and practical tests for a drivers license include verification of tha the student knows and takes the blind spot in caution?

BTW, why Caps Lock?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Their lawyers probably made them add those warnings.
Old 10-18-2002 | 01:30 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Well, if you don't knowd which way your turning, it doesn't really need to tell you...
Old 10-18-2002 | 01:50 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the statement has more to do with lawyers than safety.
Old 10-18-2002 | 03:17 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

AndyK,

Actually on the cabrio the power window controls are on the door itself! So I guess Porsche heard enough about that complaint.
Old 10-18-2002 | 03:26 PM
sm
Drifting

Did any of the 944/951s have a CONVEX passenger side mirror? I want one.
Old 10-18-2002 | 03:32 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

The window controls ARE on the door...but not in a convenient spot--and both controls are right next to eachother...not the most ergo design!

Quick Reply: Why only one turn single indicator?