Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

o/t 240z

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 06:15 PM
94415atocrosswanabe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post o/t 240z

Ok i know this isnt a z forum, but i know this guy whose selling his 240Z for 1800. I dont know much about the car except that i like to way it looks. The guy claims the engine is putting out almost 500hp, is this possible without turbo. How should this car perform compared to my N/A? If the engine needs a rebuild how much would that cost, what are the maint issues with the Zs other than rust. I am asking you guys because i dont know any z boards and the knoweledge on this board is immense. Thanks matt.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:22 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by 94415atocrosswanabe:
<strong>Ok i know this isnt a z forum, but i know this guy whose selling his 240Z for 1800. I dont know much about the car except that i like to way it looks. The guy claims the engine is putting out almost 500hp, is this possible without turbo. How should this car perform compared to my N/A? If the engine needs a rebuild how much would that cost, what are the maint issues with the Zs other than rust. I am asking you guys because i dont know any z boards and the knoweledge on this board is immense. Thanks matt.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great price if it's in good condition or better. No bloody way it's going to put out anywhere near 500 bhp NA. Not possible.

The single biggest maintenance issue with the 240Z is rust. They are very prone to it, so look it over very carefully and then look again. IIRC there are some issues with the carbs, especially on the 73 models because of the early emissions garbage.

Send me an e-mail &lt;geo31@earthlink.net&gt;. I'll find some good resources for you. I'm pretty well connected in one area of the Nissan community and through that can find out excellent resources for this car. One of my best friends is an engineer for Nissan and was involved in the reconditioned 240Z project (Nissan sought out, purchased, essentially remanufactured, and sold 240Zs a few years back).
Old 10-17-2002, 06:26 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
"what are the maint issues with the Zs other than rust"

On the early Z's this is enough of an issue. Can be very very serious. As in guys saying there is no way in hell I'm going to inspect this. I've seen plenty where you saw the road zipping by underneath you.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Hey I've got a '72 240Z !!! It's been way more reliable than my 951 and has that sports-car 'feel'. Lightweight, nimble while the 951 feels more like a GT-cruiser. Anyway, check for rust like the other guys pointed out, there's no way to fix that easily or inexpensively. By the time you've cut and welded new panels in, you could've built a body from scratch. Also check out the frame rails underneath. If they're straight and true, you're OK.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:07 PM
scular
Racer

goto the source at <a href="http://www.240z.org/" target="_blank">http://www.240z.org/</a>
Old 10-17-2002, 08:22 PM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

Wink

Mechanically they're quite solid and relatively low maintenance. If you find one that isn't rusty, it will be the exception. Look at the "frame " channels where they turn up under the firewall. I've seen Zs fold up there from rust. Also, the carbs on the '73 can be direct replaced with the older models, and like Geo said the '73 (and I think '74) carbs are a PITA. Only other slam I can think of is the '70s Jap car upholstery was not up to big American butts. The seats were built light and the seams would blow up easily, and the dashboards would crack even worse than a 944, if you can imagine that.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:43 PM
oi-punx
Racer

This post is almost identical to one that I posted several weeks ago, except I was inquiring about a '78 280Z which I ended up not getting because the seller became angry after I asked for a second test drive on the local expressway. A couple of people here steered me in the right direction. Check out <a href="http://www.ZCar.com." target="_blank">www.ZCar.com.</a> There is some good info. there.

As the others have said, and as i've found out, rust is a major concern. The engine bays on these things are so spacious, they look so much easier to work on than our cars.

The first really fast car I went for a ride in was a 1971 240Z, and it wasn't that long ago. It had a ZX motor in it and was lightened and modified extensively. The only engine mods I could see were ignition, intake and exhaust. The thing left my knuckles white from grabbing onto the door handle, it was extremely fast. Just don't expect build quality or handling to be up to par with our cars.

Tomorrow i'm looking at another '78 280 with 90K miles and an auto trans for $500. It will hopefully be my daily driver. It runs, but needs a little work. I'll be looking extensively for rust.

Good luck
Old 10-17-2002, 08:52 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yeah - great cars. 70-73.5 Hitachi dome top su copies=good.73.5- 74 Hitachi flat tops=bad.
You will need to synchronize the air flow on either set of these carbs every couple of months, or you will be making 82 hp. Once you tune it correctly, however, they are fantastic. No other car I have owned has been as reliable. Early (70-72) can definitely benefit from revised throttle linkage, because it likes to slap you in your seat from lack of progression. Interior is beyond cheap. You will get a clunk from the rear that you will NEVER cure. Alkyd enamel paint wears like nail polish.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:58 PM
John Garrison
Track Day

I had a 74' 260Z, great car. My father had a shop in NM put a small block (64' Vette motor)in it. Talk about white knuckles,...it was too damn fast. He sank over 8500 in the motor, over 2000 in the trany (B&M TH350 beefed), Jag Rear end, 2200 in paint. His rearend lasted almost 8 years. I got the car and went through 6 in 6 months. Went to get in one time and kicked the rocker panel on accident and my foot went all the way through. As it turns out, it rusted from the inside out. Never had a clue until my foot went through. I yanked the motor and trany, dropped them in a Nova and went drag racing. Sold the Z carcass for parts. The amazing thing was it dyno'd at 470hp and passed the CA smog test. Go figure....
Old 10-17-2002, 11:03 PM
94415atocrosswanabe
Instructor

well im not going for the car- because the owner was a bit of a moron. It had a turbo on it, the po had done some sweet stuff to the car, but I think that it sits to low for street driving without damage. Its still a sweet car but im pretty sure it has been insanely abused. Thanks for all the replyes.

Quick Reply: o/t 240z