Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where is the ground for the instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002 | 01:38 PM
bs
Pro

Post where is the ground for the instrument cluster

where is the ground point for the gauges and electronics in the instrument panel? i want to check and clean mine.
Old 11-07-2002 | 02:26 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Ben, I suspect it's in the same place as the 968's.

If you're a contortionist, you may be able to access it without pulling the driver's seat, but it's gonna be easier with it out (just how badly do you want to do this??? )...

Lying on your back in the driver's footwell, head lovingly cradled by the pedals, it's gonna be 'way up high on the underside of the outer corner of the dash. Mine has two, side by side, distinguishable by having several brown wires coming together there. 10 mm, IIRC.

I took one loose using a 1/4" drive & extension, & cleaned it; the other struck me as being a potential issue to reassemble without dropping a bunch of other stuff to get finger access, so I settled for loosening & tightening it a few times. But I was already worn down from doing the clutch master cylinder tango, and was just doing this "because I was already there."

Jim, lazy bastid, me...
Old 11-07-2002 | 03:03 PM
bs
Pro

what are these grounds bolted too? the firewall?
Old 11-07-2002 | 05:05 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by bs:
<strong>what are these grounds bolted too? </strong><hr></blockquote>

More or less the firewall; I didn't pay a lot of attention, but I think it'd be the underside of the metal that supports the fuse/relay box. From memory, they're a little further forward than the pedal piviots, and higher up (the highest surface in the area above your feet). Located almost all the way outboard on the driver's side of that area.

If you had Plastic Man's left arm, picture sitting in the driver's seat, and reaching under the left end of the dash, about as far forward and up as you can go.

These may or may not be the _only_ ground points under there. I just happened to see them while I was under there on an unrelated chore. Since I'd been cleaning engine compartment grounds a short while earlier, I took the opportunity while I was in the neighborhood....

Jim, dam'ed awkward neighborhood, that...

Quick Reply: where is the ground for the instrument cluster