Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85.5 NA , need opinions/help with engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:31 PM
pepegurr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85.5 NA , need opinions/help with engine

Well I finally got my 944 running after sorting out my flooding issues. It turns out that my FPR was bad and was leaking fuel into the engine through the vaccum lines. I went through everything again before I started it up after the FPR was replaced, new plugs, wires , cap and rotor. The car started right up, no issues other than a rough idle. Oil pressure was good, I let the car warm up to operating temp and checked the compression, solid 160 across the board.

This is where my new trouble started. I decided to take the car down the road to see how everything checked out. It did beautifully while I was in first gear but as soon as I shifted to second the car started boiling thick white smoke from the exhaust and only running on 2 cylinders. I immediately shut the car down and we pushed it back into the garage, let it sit and checked everything. I am leaning toward either a bad HG or cracked head but I wanted to see if there were any other possibilities. I have no oil in water, no water in oil either and the coolant level is still fine. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Guys.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:34 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible you have a blown head gasket, all cylinders reading exactly the same is not a good sign. Do a cooling system pressure test, and check the cylinders for water, I just did the same in my build thread.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was good to have all cylinders reading the same pressure. It does seem odd that you would get these good compression readings and then immediately have an HG problem. Check compression again or better yet do a leak down test.

Quick Reply: 85.5 NA , need opinions/help with engine