Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 PM
SC Greg
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Options

Hi all, I have been reading thru a ton of your super helpful posts and your guys guidance has been awesome, Thanks!

I have finally dialed into two different options that I am going to execute on and seriously need the advice of the experts.. both are polar opposites and I am really nervous.

Option 1: 1989 951- Original owner, bone stock, great condition, 155k original miles with no rebuild. All service records accurate and on time... dude took great care of this car and it shows. $8k. My fear on this one is how much longer can I go without going thru the whole motor/turbo etc. and how much will I drop.

Option 2: 1989 951-Original owner, 72K original miles with an engine build. This owner formerly worked for Porsche and did a great motor rebuild with no expenses spared. This example is a little rougher on body and interior, not bad but not as nice as option 1 but motor etc is perfect. $12k...

Should I spend the extra dough up front and have a car with less mileage/wear-tear and a fresh built motor, or 'save' a few bucks and get a nice driver in excellent condition with the expectation within a year or two of going thru the motor.

Any help or wise words are appreciated and Happy Labor folks, by end of weekend I expect to be part of a cool fraternity who appreciate this insane car!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What it all comes down to is if you are able to do most of the work yourself. #1, When was the belts and water pump last changed. On belts rule of thumb is every 3 years or 30k miles, water pump every other belt change or as needed. When was the clutch last changed? Does it have the original trans? Have the front engine seals been changed, when? Figure $2000 for a clutch change and $1500 for all belts and roller change if dealer does the work. These are two things you can do yourself if you can do the wrenching and have the proper tools. If you keep the turbo stock you will have less problems than if you go mod crazy. A turbo is harder to work on because so much has to be removed just to get where the work is needed to be done. If it was me I'd go for the nicer looking car with full documentation of when the work was done and what was done. Drive it and have it put up on a lift to take a really good long look all under the car. Check the wheel bearings for any play 12 & 6, 9 & 3 move back and forth. Check out the link below for "How to Inspect" good information. You can do a lot with 4K in your pocket and have yourself a good looking car to start off with inside and out. Take some of that 4K and put it away for the rainy day for any future repairs you can't handle yourself.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/purchase.htm

Best of luck to you, Greg, in what ever you deside to buy.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
SC Greg
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Larry for the time and response.

I am feeling the same way thinking that a car that old with no dings, rips, tears is probably owned by someone that wouldn't miss a service(they are all there to prove it).

As soon as it's a done deal I will post... expect around Sunday or Monday.

Quick Reply: Two Options