Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension change out

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003 | 07:23 AM
Predator
Pro

Post Suspension change out

Have just purchased spindles, swing arms, rotors calipers, etc from an '86 951 (thanks Todd)to install on my '83 and need the passenger side alloy A-frame. Also any leads on ball joint replacement. Planning on complete rebuild and powder coat before installing. Also, have set of nearly new drilled rotors for early models.
Old 05-09-2003 | 01:49 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You can still use the steel arms on your conversion - much less expensive to service, and don't suffer from the ball-joint failure problems of the cast arms. If it were me, I'd do this.

If not, I think I have a good core arm - need to verify (would need new balljoint). There are two kits popular to the list - SSI and KLA - info in the archives regarding each.

Good Luck!
Old 05-09-2003 | 01:55 PM
Sean
Drifting

What are the downsides to using steel arms? A lot of people have advised against "backdating" from aluminum to steel, though I am unclear as to the specific drawbacks.

Are steel arms unadvisable for track use? Are the ball joint rebuild kits safe for the track?
Old 05-09-2003 | 01:59 PM
FormulaOne10
Rennlist Member

Well I haven't studied the designs real carefully...but it seems as if the steel is at least equal to that of the aluminium. In addition you can replace the ball joints on the steel arms.

The aluminum is probably a good deal lighter...how much weight is really saved is something I don't know. Maybe people just don't want the extra weight...
Old 05-09-2003 | 04:06 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Blaszak has been making steel arms of the 86 that are stronger then the 86 aluminium arms and stand up to track use. They have the replacable ball joint to boot.

<a href="http://www.blaszakprecision.com/" target="_blank">http://www.blaszakprecision.com/</a>
Old 05-09-2003 | 04:17 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The weight difference is very minimal - maybe a few ounces, even with my modified steel arms.

Standard steel arms are fine for street use. For track it is recommended that they be reinforced.

Steel arm ball joints are easily and inexpensively replaceable, are plenty strong, and will allow greater lowering than cast arms (binding occurs at &gt;3 degrees on cast arms)

Rebuilt and even original joints in cast arms, especially when lowered, are a measured risk. Alternatives are very pricey, though most racers "end up there" eventually. Some regions (PCA) will not allow rebuilt arms, or cars lowered past 13" (arch to center).
Old 05-09-2003 | 09:26 PM
Predator
Pro

Thanks for all the input. Knew I could retain the original steel arms. Will probably keep them, at least for the short trem.

Quick Reply: Suspension change out