Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation/Rocking

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 AM
Konkinator
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation/Rocking

Hello all,

This is my first post on Rennlist as I have only owned my 1983 944 N/Afor a few months. I bought it with a very slight leak at the front of the engine knowing I would have some work to do. It was/is in great condition, and I got what I believe to be a great price for it (4500 CAD). My friend who test drove it with my had a good line, "You are getting a great deal on it, so be prepared to spend the money you have saved on the car because something will go wrong". Well he was right and shorty after a major leak started from the cam cover so the work began.

Everything has been put back together now and the leak has been stopped, but another problem has arrived likely due to me fixing the car. At idle, the car is fine but at constant throttle there is hesitation that can turn into bucking. The cam belt is properly aligned and tensioned and the balance shaft belt is also tensioned correctly though I have not checked alignment (it is too late and I am no longer thinking right).

I've been reading around a bit, and I find it hard to believe that my DME would have started acting up over the course of the repair. The other problem that I have read about is vacuum. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

Seems like you should start by checking all your vacuum and electrical connections. I really doubt it would be the DME but the AFM is suspect for your symptoms (search AFM). Maybe clean the electrical contacts with electric contact cleaner. Clean your grounds in the engine bay. Did you have the intake manifold off? You can clean the throttle body and get a kit with o-rings from Arnnworx.

You may have to go back in and check your cam timing also. . . .
Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Konkinator
2nd Gear

Hello. I'm the friend.

Cam timing seems to be pretty bang on after tensioning and the car pulls fine at WOT. Deceleration is also fine it's when you're driving down the road at a constant throttle that the car seems surge. It can be a light surge but a times it will become a full on buck where the car is pitching forward and back violently until you push in the clutch.

I don't think it's a vacuum issue but I personally feel it might be emissions related. This I feel because electrical emissions sensors are generally disregarded at WOT and on deceleration it wouldn't affect anything either.

Thanks for the help, we really want to get this thing on the road to enjoy the short remainder of summer!!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, Check out the link below as it will help with the 83 944. Look at the AFM as it shows how to adjust the wiper arm on a new track. You may want to get a later 85.5 DME and AFM to solve the running problems the 83 has been known to have.

http://www.frwilk.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-11J8XawQtc

Cheers,
Larry

Last edited by Grandpa#3; 08-31-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-31-2010, 06:18 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

Have you checked out the AFM? - midrange trouble could be bad contact on the AFM swiper.

Here's another idea - the TPS switches when the throttle is closed (idle) and I think it may also switch at wide open throttle? Wouldn't hurt to test the TPS.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 PM
dontnow
Pro

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Hello, Check out the link below as it will help with the 83 944. Look at the AFM as it shows how to adjust the wiper arm on a new track. You may want to get a later 85.5 DME and AFM to solve the running problems the 83 has been known to have.

http://www.frwilk.com/

[Cheers,
Larry
How hard is it to swap the newer parts into an <85.5? I understand they are much more hardy.

BTW nice grid girl pics on your site.

Quick Reply: Hesitation/Rocking