Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Bag Steering wheel into a Non-Air Bag Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM
KlineS147
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Steering wheel into a Non-Air Bag Car

Hi Guys,

I've searched many times and only come up with the complete opposite.

I just put a Air Bag Steering wheel in my non air bag car, same year. However the horn doesnt work and neither does the right turn signal canceler. These both worked before.

Are these just adjustment settings or do i need more parts off the parts car?

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks, Steve
Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 AM
KrisPKreme
Advanced

Exact same problem in my 88. Hopefully someone chimes in.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need the slip ring off the back of the old wheel, transfered onto the new wheel... that will take care of the canceler. (airbag vs non airbag use a DIFFERENT canceler / slipring) OR alternatively, you could get the turn signal mechanism off the car you got the steering wheel from, but they usually cost MORE than the steering wheel...

Horn is a difference of 1 vs 2 contacts... you need to close the circuit, or you have some other issue with your horn outside the new wheel... The + is a wire, the ground path is via the steering shaft, and is grounded out via the jumper wire from the steering rack to the crossmember under the engine, IIRC...

Just out of curriosity, WHY would you put an airbag wheel into a non airbag car? With the beautiful non airbag wheels available, why, other than to place an unpredictable BOMB in front of your face?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 AM
DHC6
Racer

You may need to change the turn/cruise signal stalk module (about 40-60 bucks on eBay) and you will need the clock spring that goes on top of the module (behind the wheel), also pretty cheap on the bay, sometime you can find to two together. The clock spring will help make your horn work, and should make your turn signal work properly as well.

Here's what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...Q5fAccessories

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...item439e1348a3

The only connection you need from this part is the black plastic one with the brown wire, that's your horn. The others are for the airbag system, which you won't need because you don't have the airbag computer I assume. Hope this helps guys.

Louis

Quick Reply: Air Bag Steering wheel into a Non-Air Bag Car