Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to pull/rebuild my motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 11:51 PM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to pull/rebuild my motor

Yes we pulled it from the top. Without a 2post lift to take the front tires off we thought it might be easier going from the top. Once we free'd the driveshaft from the bell housing it was actually pretty easy to get it out. Took about 4 hours from start to getting the motor pulled. 4 more hours and the motor was torn apart and is now ready for the machine shop tomorrow. Pretty amazing motor by the way. From the Studs all over the block (head studs are a very nice touch) to the free floating wrist pins. You can tell Porsche didn't skimp out on this motor. Everything is over engineered and beautifully done..lots of nice little touches
Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

968 engine going in?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 AM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

i wish van. Just a rebuild for 944cup racing
Old 08-30-2010, 01:25 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It appears you solved the oil pan/crossmember conflict by removing the oil pan bolts and leaving it behind? Are you going to try the reverse for install? I need to do my oil pan gasket, this gives me some ideas about doing the clutch "while I'm in there"...

BTW, is there supposed to be an engine hook at the front? I don't have one, if so.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 AM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by I_am_imprezed

Yes we pulled it from the top. Without a 2post lift to take the front tires off we thought it might be easier going from the top. Once we free'd the driveshaft from the bell housing it was actually pretty easy to get it out. Took about 4 hours from start to getting the motor pulled. 4 more hours and the motor was torn apart and is now ready for the machine shop tomorrow. Pretty amazing motor by the way. From the Studs all over the block (head studs are a very nice touch) to the free floating wrist pins. You can tell Porsche didn't skimp out on this motor. Everything is over engineered and beautifully done..lots of nice little touches
If only we got the euro pistons
Old 08-30-2010, 04:52 PM
I_am_imprezed
Racer

Ross: What i did actually was unbolted the crossmember from the a-arm bushings..so i didnt really remove the cross member broke it lose so i could move it just enough to squeeze the motor (sans the pan) over the cross member and around the steering knuckle. It's a PITA but ya gotta do it unless you do it by the book. I havent decided how im going to put the motor in yet but probably same way i took it out.

Yes theres supposed to be 2 hooks. somebody probably took it out which is not good because the front hook it the best one. The rear one sucks and bent as soon as we lifted the motor. I would NOT use only the rear hook to lift that motor.

CS: Yea that would be nice, maybe at some point i'll put the 88's in there. For now the Cylinders are almost perfect so i see no reason to bore it out, have it sent to be re-coated with that silicone stuff..or of course sleeved which is probably the best way to do it as long as you dont mind spending $100 a cylinder.

Quick Reply: Time to pull/rebuild my motor