Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone looking at this 91 S2 on ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010 | 06:22 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Anyone looking at this 91 S2 on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...fCarsQ5fTrucks

I have high res copies of those images and also a pic of the severe rust on the passenger fender. The owner is very hard to reach on the phone - works long hours. There is a hole cut in the rear carpet. Clock is broken and a couple buttons on the AC panel are broken/missing. Not sure the age of the tires but pretty sure they are at least 6 or 7 years old. Looks like the vin stickers have been painted over on the front fenders.
Old 08-28-2010 | 06:32 PM
carlege
Drifting

Doesnt look like the owner is disclosing any of the rust information.
Old 08-28-2010 | 08:25 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

The guy who is listing it on ebay is not the owner - he is just trying to help a buddy out. I don't think he is that familiar with 944s. The actual owner hasn't really driven the car that much since he bought it - from what I understand it has mostly just sat in the garage.
Old 08-28-2010 | 08:56 PM
till_that_day
Instructor

It really doesn't look like a bad car for the money, but stickers being painted over says to me "front end damage/ accident".
Old 08-28-2010 | 09:42 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by till_that_day
It really doesn't look like a bad car for the money, but stickers being painted over says to me "front end damage/ accident".
I was interested in buying it myself. Tried all this week to get more pics and talk to the owner but no luck. Once I got the big pics I emailed over about the hole in the carpet, broken clock, painted over VIN stickers and AC panel. I guess the seller decided to relist the car and not deal with a picky buyer
Old 08-28-2010 | 10:29 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

Ha ha. I just wrote the guy to ask him a bunch of the same questions. He mentioned the rust, but hasn't gotten back to me on the pictures. I kinda feel bad for him if as, acc to OP, he works a lot and is just selling this for a friend. His note is below--seems like a decent guy but I'm wary of how the info slowly trickles out.

Josh--any chance you can post the pics here or email them to me? It might be faster than waiting... Oh well, maybe I'll just wait for a good turbo to come up for sale.

Thanks,

Tim

From the seller:

Hello Tim, the car was never in an accident, it has the original paint. The timing belt was changed about 4 years ago. It has about 2000 miles on it. The car is adult owned and has never been raced. The under side of the car is very clean. The paint is real nice. The only thing the body has is a very small spot behind the passenger front tire the size of a golf ball rust spot. The clutch is great. Not sure when it was changed. This car is not driven in the winter. It has been I. The garage
Old 08-28-2010 | 10:43 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a pic of that fender he sent me. Bad enough that I was worried there might be other spots on the car. If you want to see the pics just pm me an email addy that won't have a problem with a big file size

Old 08-28-2010 | 10:54 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 08-28-2010 | 11:40 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

Thanks for posting, I've PMed you my email address. The seller claimed a it was a summer only car, but the rust and oxidation on the master cylinder and various fasteners around tell a different story. I'm always wary of visible rust on a galvanized car as an indication of not only more rust that you can't see, but also of general neglect. At $5k (30-40% below book?) I'd rather have a seller tell me it was 4 season car and hence the low price than to indicate it wasn't but not have an explanation for the rust.
Old 08-29-2010 | 12:27 AM
till_that_day
Instructor

Originally Posted by Josh B
I was interested in buying it myself. Tried all this week to get more pics and talk to the owner but no luck. Once I got the big pics I emailed over about the hole in the carpet, broken clock, painted over VIN stickers and AC panel. I guess the seller decided to relist the car and not deal with a picky buyer
"picky" shouldn't mean asking questions to back up the evidence. Galvanized metal dosen't just rust like fenders on a chevy. Yes the price is right, but you also would like straight answers. Everything can be worked around, but in this situation I wouldn't give one dime till I got hands on view of the top and bottom.
Old 08-29-2010 | 12:28 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

my S2 had rust in the same spot. unknot your panties, it doesnt mean the car is a wreck. the paint has to chip in that area and then you get rust. the paint chips easily if the car is driven on a dirty road.

passenger sides rust quicker than drivers sides because roads are pitched so water runs off the passenger side. hence, there is more water on the passenger side to act as an agent to throw the dirt against the fender.

the hole in the carpet, clock, etc are othe questions. the slight bulge in the fender could be from somene backing into the car and the fender buckling a bit.

then again teh car could have been in a wreck.

I think the master cylinder on the S2 i sold my brother in 06 with 58k that now has 140k and has been 1000' from the atlantic for the last four years is in better shape than that one.
Old 08-29-2010 | 12:31 AM
DHC6
Racer

Well good luck with it, but as noted it's well below market value. I have recent experience with a 944 S2 under market value, and all I can say is, you pay for what you get. I have spent the initial cost of the car in repairs and I am still not done. So could very well be a good buy, but I am sure you already know, expect to spend the same amount if not more then what you could pay for the car. Looks decent though, hard to tell from pictures though.
Old 08-29-2010 | 09:37 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

While it's under market value, it's definately not as described.

It could still be a deal but with the things the OP provided info on.....I'd probably offer $2500 unless there are rock solid records of all the maintenance being 100% up to date and a recent clutch.

Or put another way.....if it has not been maintained, you'll sink an easy $5k to $7k into it to bring it up to par...making a buy at $2500 just about right.....you'll have a car you've sunk about $8k into.

Other thing to note is that 1991 S2's are not all that common.
Old 08-29-2010 | 05:38 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

market value for a very good condition S2 with M030 shocks, good paint, excellent interior, and the crummy rust showing on that car somewhat repaired with new stone guards, with a new clutch, belts, etc. and a second set of 968 rims with excellent rubber was 7500 two years ago.
Old 08-29-2010 | 06:00 PM
Makis
Instructor

I am in the process in repairing a rust spot like this, in fact worse on my S2 (1991). It looks like all do have this problem. My has more miles on the clock then this, so even more likely to have this problem. Yes, the panels are galvanised so it should not happen. But after looking on my rust spot decided that is unavoidable really. What porsche has done, they also spray the panel with rubberised paint to protect it from chip stone. The rubberised paint looks like is sprayed directly to the galvanised panel. In time (20 years) the paint seem to attract moisture that ends behind the paint. That moisture eventually attacks the the panel an it then starts to rust.
So would say this car has seen winter driving but that rust spot does not mean the car is rotten underneath.

Quick Reply: Anyone looking at this 91 S2 on ebay?