Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 subwoofer box

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 09:10 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Ag951:
<strong>Do any of you know what size driver that holds?
Or if the box was actually designed for that rockford fosgate driver?
There's more to fitting a sub than size.

If it's an accoustic match, I might have to get one.

Also, anybody know where to get speakers that fit in front doors?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">As others have said, it's an 8". Yes, the box was designed for the driver. I've used JL Audio 8W0 and it's sounds very good also. I actually prefer the JL but they are a bit pricey. Like Sid said, it's not optimal, but not far off. Plus it's a very good solution to keep your car factory looking. One other thing, click the "don't let this happen to you" link on the subwoofer page on my site. Just another reason to keep them out of sight!
Old 04-28-2003, 09:11 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Oh yeah, one other thing.....I'm working on a 10" for the spare tire well.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Scott,

You let me know when the 10" box is done! My buddy is giving me two brand new 10" speakers (I think they are Alpine.

I suppose I gotta lose the spare? Ahh, who needs it anyway.

Hope all is well!
Old 04-28-2003, 10:04 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Matt-

I'll definetly announce it here as a new product when it's done. May be a few weeks, though.........
Old 04-28-2003, 10:38 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I am an audio freak... having said that, I do not like to "bump" as I roll.

I am running 2 8" Kicker Solos in the KLA boxes. With some good clean power, they sound excellent with the rest of my system. Good low end, a little bump and thump, and a perfect soundstage.

If you want to rattle your hatch to peices, go with a Kicker Comp 15" and 1000w of 1ohm juice mounted in the spare tire well.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:05 AM
Greg

hey, i used to have a 78 924 that i was messing with until i got the engine running and then the body was **** so i got a new car... lol, the 944 isnt running yet, but my idea was to take out the rear seats (because no one fits in them anyways) and build a custom sub box in that location, wither upfiring or front firing, not sure, but has anyone else had this idea? I was thinkin about leaving the back of the seat on but taking hte bottom part out. I would leave the back because of hte proivacy curtain for the hatch, altho i could just screw that to the sub box it i took it all out. IT would probably be a weight savings depending on what i put in... any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:34 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Perry 951:
<strong>I am an audio freak... having said that, I do not like to "bump" as I roll.

I am running 2 8" Kicker Solos in the KLA boxes. With some good clean power, they sound excellent with the rest of my system. Good low end, a little bump and thump, and a perfect soundstage.

If you want to rattle your hatch to peices, go with a Kicker Comp 15" and 1000w of 1ohm juice mounted in the spare tire well.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hey Perry...

Glad to see the car is coming back together. Love those wheels!

Yeah, my box was never intended to be a slammer. It's a very clean, musical bass, IMHO (I'm not biased either!).
Old 04-28-2003, 11:36 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Greg:
<strong>hey, i used to have a 78 924 that i was messing with until i got the engine running and then the body was **** so i got a new car... lol, the 944 isnt running yet, but my idea was to take out the rear seats (because no one fits in them anyways) and build a custom sub box in that location, wither upfiring or front firing, not sure, but has anyone else had this idea? I was thinkin about leaving the back of the seat on but taking hte bottom part out. I would leave the back because of hte proivacy curtain for the hatch, altho i could just screw that to the sub box it i took it all out. IT would probably be a weight savings depending on what i put in... any suggestions?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Someone else on the list last year did this. You may want to search the archives.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Perry,

I'm not an audio freak per se, but I would like the 1812 Overture to sound as good as U2 if you know what I mean.

I really want good clean sound, I don't want to **** off my neighbors, and I don't want to break my windows.

Of course, sometimes I turn the volume down to listen to the 4 cylinders up front.

Glad to see your baby is the home stretch.

-Matt
Old 04-28-2003, 03:40 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok… Letting just a bit of the cat out of the bag. I am in the process of R&D on a fully stealth rear sub box for our cars. 1 or 2 8-10" speaker capable. The wait is because I am trying to complete the front speaker pod setup first, not to mention getting the correct area of volume for this kind of system is very hard to get right for one speaker type let alone many as well as attempting to make a stealthy system out of it at the same time. If interested email me. All of this is planned at best for release this summer. I can say no more but will answer direct question if there are any. I am intestinally keeping this on the QT because of its anticipated acceptance and limited manufacturing ability at the momentum.

There I have said it.
Remember please email me with questions if there are any.

Tabo II
Old 04-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by slevy951:
<strong>Oh yeah, one other thing.....I'm working on a 10" for the spare tire well.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I'll go for a 10!
That'll keep the other well free to hide the amp in.

Hey StanUK951,
Did you buy those front baffles or build them? And where did you buy them or how did you build them?
I want something that fits in the front without any cutting.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:14 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Check for leaks before you go installing electronics...I found a barracuda in my well the other day. I'm working on that.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:17 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Tremelune:
<strong>Check for leaks before you go installing electronics...I found a barracuda in my well the other day. I'm working on that.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Leaks? I live in AZ. The closest I've had my 951 to water was hosing brake dust off the rims last week.

Seriously though, that is good advice. I had a leaky trunk a few years ago in SC, and found out after putting an amp and cd changer in it. Fortunately I was loading the trunk and saw them before starting the car, so I disconnected it all and let them dry out.

Quick Reply: 944 subwoofer box