Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

deutsche parts ebay tie rods = garbag/ dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default deutsche parts ebay tie rods = garbag/ dangerous

I converted to manual steering and bought a set of 2 inner/ outer tie rods from deutsche parts on ebay. seemed like a reallly good deal like 190 bucks plus shipping for both tie rods / boots vs 130 each from paragon + shipping.

so I installed them on my rack and on my car brought my car for an allignment today and the shop told me the inner tie rods are faulty. when you turn the wheel the inner tie rod moves. the metal pipe which the outer tie goes into moves in and out of the metal "housing" that contains the ball joint.

the ball joints are fine its the actual metal pipe is fitted into the part that contains the ball joint and it moves about a 1/4 inch on each sidewhen you turn the wheel.

so when you turn the wheel one side pulls out and the other side goes in.... so in total there is a half an inch movement so you can't even get an allignment.

also i'm screwed as I bought these over two months ago from ebay (deatsche parts) so I can't do anything now and now I got to pay to get an allignment again plus get the mechanice to replace them as I don't feel like doing them myself after I spend last week doing this all.

lesson, i'm not buying parts from ebay again. the ebay seller (DP) claism they are OE spec and quality parts but they are junk.

it's also not one deffective part both inner tie rods I got do this.

anyways i'm pretty pissed cus now I don't have time to order them from paragon I have to get them from teh dealer for 160 a piece and have to get them replaced and alligned again.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

and just to be sure tie rods are suppose to have no movement in them correct? the mechanic I went to is trustworthy and he said they are deffective and junk (he fixes police cars and is a good mechanic).
Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I just did some searching online and looks like there are tons of people who have complaints about Deutsche Parts being defective.

so a warning to anyone who wants to buy anything from Deutsche Parts looks like they sell cheap chinese knockoff parts that are definately not OE spec and dangerous.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Strike-Force
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct, Tie rods should not have any play.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah I figured lol. it's pretty scarey its not the ball joints that are bad the metal of the inner tie rod (the long rod part) is pressed into another piece and it moves in and out of it.

I searched online and a lot of people have complaints about Deutsche Parts selling unsafe cheap chinese knockoff crap. I thought they were a reputable company but they don't look like it.

so the inner tie rods basically stretch and get smaller when you steer.

I thought parts that are sold have to pass some kind of safety regulation but apparently not.

lol and it's not just a little "play" they stretch about a quarter inch on each side when steering.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They sell a bunch of other P-car parts, including (I think) water pumps. Would not give a straight answer on materials or manufacturer, so I passed. They claim a lot of their stuff is Made in Germany.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah who the hell knows. I think my packages said "made in germany" also but you never know they could be some fake chinese parts with "made in germany" stamped on it.

they looked really cheaply made and the design is deffective and dangerous, I highly doubt they are made in germany.

I can't seem to find a website for deutsche parts its just an ebay seller from new york.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:52 AM
ScoobySteve
Intermediate

The only Deutsche Parts items I've heard are good are the A-arm castor blocks.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 AM
UltimatE157
Instructor

I'd try and talk to the shop that did your alignment, see if they can do it again for free or a discount because you got screwed on new parts.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UltimatE157
I'd try and talk to the shop that did your alignment, see if they can do it again for free or a discount because you got screwed on new parts.
No way. It's not the shops fault. They would have told you if they installed their parts, it would be warranted. Bring your own parts to the shop and you are on your own.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:41 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
No way. It's not the shops fault. They would have told you if they installed their parts, it would be warranted. Bring your own parts to the shop and you are on your own.
+100 I couldn't print what I would say if I were the shop owner and someone asked me that.

People think shops are greedy, marking up parts they supply, but one instance like this makes the markup look cheap.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:07 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I've been a Porsche tech for over 23 years and I can't count how many times...If I had a nickel for each time I had to give the parts speech to clients. The shop has to pay for liability insurance...your shop does have liability insuance don't they? If not, go find a real shop that does. And it's expensive for Porsche shops. Nobody makes money on parts - plain and simple.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

I didn't bring parts to the shop. I just brougth the car in for an allignment and they told me the new tie rods I had on were junk.

I trust the parts from paragon/ pelican and dealer but stuff you buy on ebay you got to be careful.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Bad deal yummybud. I know the feeling of crap parts. Maybe you have the ability to return them. i will say that I took a serious gamble on this company and ordered one of their "New " waterpumps. When it came, sure it was new. I did have my concerns about it's quality, specifically the casting. I installed the pump and it seems to be fine. 9000 miles later it's OK. I also bought some of their window switches for a 924S - They have been real good. I think they are better quality than some of the more expensive OEM switches from the normal suppliers that I have used for years. Just my input.
I hope it works out.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:38 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info on the Deutsche Parts water pumps. I always wondered about the quality. I thought I read the "German" Deutsch Parts waterpump casing was actually made in China. This is not unusual but it raises the question on the WP bearing quality.

I have been buying a lot of URO parts. Window switches, PS reservoirs, AC receiver dryers and other stuff. So far low prices and good quality.

Never buy Deutsch Parts Hamburg Technic Motor Mounts. Might last one year. I made that mistake.

John

Quick Reply: deutsche parts ebay tie rods = garbag/ dangerous