Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo blowing coolant into intake air?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:23 PM
jensend3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo blowing coolant into intake air?

Okay so I was driving down to Daytona for College and about 250 miles out I hear a popping sound when i tried to accelerate for a pass. There was smoke blowing out of the exhaust and the engine died. I was able to get it started to pull off of a very nearby exit. While awaiting AAA I noticed a small coolant dripping around the turbo area. I removed the intercooler pipes and sure enough their was coolant in there. If the car is cold it will hard start and run like garbage and once it warms up all bets are off. I'm assuming the turbo must be replaced but I haven't taken anything apart yet. I'm not made of money so my diagnosis needs to be correct the first time around. I was wondering if everyone agrees with me on the cause and if so what turbo should I buy. I was thinking LR's super 65 with the ball bearing option along with a 3 inch down pipe. I would also be open to installing a used or even stock turbo if someone has one for CHEAP because I don't have 2000 on hand and something to hold me over would be great.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
jensend3
Advanced

By the way my car has also been adding oil to my car routinely. I had to add over a quart after the drive from PA to FL. Not sure if it is directly related but I have had trace amounts of oil in the intercooler piping for awhile.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like you have a leaking head gasket. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:48 PM
jensend3
Advanced

How do you know? I think its a possibility but how would their be coolant in the intercooler piping. Also I forgot to mention that while I was waiting on the two truck, while the engine was still operating temp, I disconnected the compressor outlet tube and started the motor. It was able to idle and there was no exhaust smoke whatsoever but their was sweet smelling steam coming out of the turbo. Also just now the starter sounded strained when I tried to start it and it wouldnt start but once again when i disconnected that pipe it started right up and then died. Sometimes its able to idle if im luck but one blip of the throttle obviously kills it in that configuration.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Likely a HG leak. Once the coolant gets into the cylinders, it get pushed and blown up into the intake.

Driving it with that much coolant running through it is very likely to damage and score the cylinder walls.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same exact problem. Coolant loss after the car had been under load. Situation for me lasted for a couple of months, then the HG completely went. You can take it in and get the head/cooling system pressure tested to confirm.

Quick Reply: Turbo blowing coolant into intake air?