Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeeky Driveshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:45 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Squeeky Driveshaft Question

Hey guys I have a simple question... My drivesahft is squeeking, only does it during idle and its not very loud almost sounds kinda like a squeeky belt but softer...

I was wondering if I should be very concerned and go ahead in replace the TT or if it would be ok for a while longer?

The car drives good, I have a minor vibration every 5sec on idle but I think that might be the engine mounts, or my ISV due to a crappy hose...

But the squeeking isn't loud I rev'd the car to 4000 Rpm and no vibration or shaking while driving and shifting. I know the clutch was replaced when I got the car and has made the sound since I bought it, only 3k miles i think on it since I got it. Sound stops when I push the clutch in, don't know if that matters but throwing it out there lol
Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wel the torque tube is a solid thing...nothing to squeek.

u might be hearing torq tube bearings or throw out bearing.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Ya, i was debating on getting a used good TT and switching them out... cause theres a dude down here who has one for $50 from I think an 89 S2.. But I may have to drive the car a good 500 miles this week and I dont want to be stranded...

If the bearings are squeeking while the last a little while or should I be ready for it to fail? I know wheel bearings do a continuious hum and last a little while then fail, but dunno about TT bearings... it sounds like its coming more from the middle of the shaft about where I sit and maybe in the rear as well... but its not very loud its low but you can hear it when idling.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Disconnect the drive shaft coupler at the transaxle.
Use $$$$$ dam good metric hex and do not strip the 2 $8 bolts.
Remove the bolts------------- and slide the coupler toward the transaxle.
When the coupler is not attached to the drive shaft------NOW start the car and listen for the squeeking.

GL
John
Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Cyclone,

John gave you a real good way to isolate what the noise could be.

The main problem with the TT bearings going away is if the drive shaft is let to vibrate within them. This can damage the drive shaft after awhile. Might not be a catastrophic failure, but will render the drive shaft unusable for a rebuild.

Good luck,
Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Anyone in Virginia Beach area willing to put in a TT for me? Got cash and can get beer lol, I'm kinda on the poor end so I can't afford to take it to a shop plus I'm always up for a learning experience.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the squeeking stop or continue when you hold the clutch down for more than a few seconds?

When you hold the clutch down, the shaft stops spinning.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:22 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Anyone in Virginia Beach area willing to put in a TT for me? Got cash and can get beer lol, I'm kinda on the poor end so I can't afford to take it to a shop plus I'm always up for a learning experience.
Do you know how much work this takes? Might have to offer a lot more

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rque-tube.html

John
Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Cash and beer not enough?!

I know it takes a good amount of time cause you have to remove trany, exhaust and some remove suspension to get the extra room for trany removal... so with that said anywhere from 7+ hours roughly... I heard someone got it in 4-6hrs, but everyone's not the same...

Plus I never said how much cash, I'm not gonna give someone 50bucks to do a big job like that lol if that's what you were thinking.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
Does the squeeking stop or continue when you hold the clutch down for more than a few seconds?

When you hold the clutch down, the shaft stops spinning.
The sound stops when clutch is engaged and you only hear it in netural not in any of the other gears and it's not loud sounds kinda simular to a faint belt squeek
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
The sound stops when clutch is engaged and you only hear it in netural not in any of the other gears and it's not loud sounds kinda simular to a faint belt squeek
Then it is probably the TT. The other test you can do is get the car on ramps or a lift, where you can have it idling but are able to get under it safely. Then listen at the back end of the torque tube, before the transaxle. And all along the torque tube.

In 90+% of cases, its the rear most bearing that fails first.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:31 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Ya I agree it's the drive shaft/TT the noise is in the front to middle not at the end... I will have to wait and fix it... I've never done something of this magnitude so I would rather wait till I can either pay someone or have someone with experience assist.. I have a few hundred bucks and got a low mileage TT for 50 bucks waiting for me..
I'm hoping I'll have the money to rebuild it even if I can't afford Constantine's super bearings just to have a fresh set would be great

Quick Reply: Squeeky Driveshaft Question