Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel Speed/Position Sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002 | 12:52 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question Flywheel Speed/Position Sensors?

OK, I just read the article in "911 and Porsche World" about replacing the flywheel speed and position sensors and it reminded me that some of you commented last summer that this could be the cause of my hot start problem. So I went out on the web and looked for the sensors and cannot find any right off the bat. I checked Pelican, Zims, Paragon, etc. short of sending e-mail to them to ask if they have them. Anybody know of a source right off the bat and is this going to be finacially painful (I am not worried about my knuckles)?

This is about the last thing to suspect as I have already replaced (mostly due to the age of the car) the DME relay, the throttle position switch, the cap/rotor and plugs, all the vacuum lines, the fuel pressure reg and damper, the fuel pump and filter, my bad attitude with a better attitude, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2002 | 02:52 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump

Really, can't someone point me in the right direction for these things?
Old 04-03-2002 | 03:07 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What about injectors? I don't recall the entire story, but have you checked for a leaky injector?

Oh, and you have mail
Old 04-03-2002 | 03:59 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Skip,

Like whether or not they are leaking, or spraying?

I did replace all of the seals and hats when I had the fuel rail off to replace the intake manifold gaskets and the fuel pressure damper and regulator. I have been contemplating sending them out to RC but haven't gotten around to it.

Here is exactly what happens. I will start my car in the morning and drive to work and everything will be just hunky dory. Then in the evening, if it has been a really warm day, I go out to my car and it just turns over and over without firing. Actually, it may fire initially, but then it will die and won't start again until it is cool outside, either later in the evening or the next morning.

One time it started just fine in the evening, I drove up the street to the Sunoco to get a Coke, and turned the car off for maybe ten minutes. When I got back in the car it would not start. Well, I noticed I was low on gas, but not very, so I figured I would push it up to a pump and fill it up just to make sure the fuel gauge wasn't F'ed up or something. Low and behold it started right up. It was kind of like that vapor lock thing that 914s get and maybe the fuel cooled down the fuel pump enough to eliminate the vapor lock.

And here is the strange part, it seemed to happen most often when it was really humid outside.

Now, all of that said (not Boris) it didn't really happen after I replaced the relay last summer. But, the other week when we had a warm-ish spell (60's). I drove my car to the bank in the middle of the day and all was fine. Then, about an hour later (I am sure the car was still kind of warm), when I got in the car to drive over to get the belts, rollers and seals replaced, the car started just fine, but it surged and sputtered and almost stalled the first couple of times I tried to get on the gas. You can only imagine how horrified I was at first, thinking the terribly neglected T-belt had started to slip.

Any ideas?

Again, here is what is new:

Relay
TPS
vacuum lines and intake gaskets
fuel pump (and actually the lines are new too)
injector seals and hats
fuel pressure regulator and damper
fuel filter

and unrelated (I think)
Timing and balance shaft belts
rollers
seals
water pump, thermostat and hoses

Quick Reply: Flywheel Speed/Position Sensors?