Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Parts Cheaper in Switzerland???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002 | 03:53 PM
sm
Drifting

Question Car Parts Cheaper in Switzerland???

I'll be heading to Zurich, Switz. for business soon (not as glamorous as it sounds) and was thinking about picking up some factory parts for my 951. Does anyone know if they're cheaper over there? Can our European Rennlisters provide some input?

I was *thinking* about the 968 CS wheel, Euro Fog Lamps, brand new engine ...
Old 10-15-2002 | 04:04 PM
sweanders
Race Director

I think you are better of buying parts in germany than Switzerland.

From Zurich it's only a 2-2½ hour drive to Stuttgart.

You could always check out these sites:

<a href="http://www.porsche-clubs.ch/" target="_blank">All Swiss Porsche clubs</a>
Old 10-15-2002 | 04:21 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

the only thing that is cheap is switzerland is the air. yes, it's damn expensive and exclusive.

you could use your location to make a few phone calls or just jump on a train and go to Munchen.

gonna be cold i'm sure..
Old 10-15-2002 | 05:04 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Warning - OT:

One good thing about Switzerland is that they are not in the European Union so you can in some ways buy stuff tax free when in Germany...

Otherwise, enjoy their chocolate, ice-cream and watches... And if you are carrying a lot of illegal money it is wise to use their banks.

I know a few people who has bank accounts in CH to avoid taxes in Sweden, they make a couple of round trips to "visit the bank" every year.. :-)

A friend of mine who spent a year in CH said that he never really figure out their way of living.

Very conservative and very well aware of that the countrys economy is extremely well kept.
Old 10-15-2002 | 09:01 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

I think you will enjoy Switzerland very much. I know I did when I went to Winterthur 2 years ago to pick up my Swiss specs '91 951S cabriolet!

Generally, dealer prices are somewhat lower in Europe than in the U.S. for logistical reasons. It's in the aftermarket that you get better deals in the U.S. because American suppliers can buy in larger quantities.

FYI the Swiss Porsche dealers all belong to a franchise called "AMAG." My 951 cabrio came from an AMAG branch in Zurich and I had it serviced at the AMAG in Winterthur.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 10-16-2002 | 03:09 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

My wife is a half swiss, so we visit Switzerland on regular basis.If you compare Switzerland to Germany you will pay double of those parts.Go to Germany for "shopping".There are lots of official Porsche dealers just across the boarder.
Switzerland is very "pricy" country, mainly because the minium salary per month is about 4.000$
Old 10-16-2002 | 10:32 AM
sm
Drifting

Olli et. al.,

Switzerland is nice and is definitely expensive.
I especially like how clean it is...

Do you think the prices in Germany are cheaper than those of Sunset, which is 10-15% above cost?

I was in Munich a couple of months ago, but wasn't in the "buying" mood, so I didn't go looking for any P-Car dealers.
Old 10-16-2002 | 01:30 PM
993RS
Race Car

Unfortunately, Switzerland is not as clean as it used to be. Definitely do not buy any parts from AMAG - they are expensive. Germany is the best bet.
Old 10-16-2002 | 01:55 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by sweanders:
[QB]I think you are better of buying parts in germany than Switzerland.
QB]<hr></blockquote>

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, that is funny, almost busted a rib. There may be some exclusive store where you can buy the parts, but I've never heard of it!!! I get waaaaayyyyy better deals ordering the parts from zims and paragon and pelican and... oh yeah, stores in the US. I know the Bosch factory is right down the street and I can drive there and I have friends that work there, but somehow the parts are all TWICE as expensive here as what I can find online. I think it has something to do with the 16% sales tax and all the other taxes here for cars.

Not trying to turn you off of germany, but if you find a place do us all a favor and let us know!

Quick Reply: Car Parts Cheaper in Switzerland???