Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The most powerful 951

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002 | 03:41 PM
Doug DeArmond
Advanced

Wink

I always get a kick out of everyone talking about big HP numbers from a 951. If you want to know what is real, just ask them what fuel pump they are running. If they have a stock fuel pump and they tell you they are making over 400 real horsepower just smile and walk away.....
As far as what is the maximum, How long does it have to run? If you get enough fuel and air in there and can get it to light the sky is the limit as with any engine. But if you want to finish a race and the thing is a 2.5 you are in the 350-400 hp bracket for quite a few dollars. If money is no object you can get to 500+. But when I see this 700 and more posted I just grin and move on.
Old 10-15-2002 | 03:57 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]But if you want to finish a race and the thing is a 2.5 you are in the 350-400 hp bracket for quite a few dollars. If money is no object you can get to 500+. But when I see this 700 and more posted I just grin and move on.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Who is Bob Norwood?

BobNorwood has 137 listings in the Guinness Book of Automotive World Records. Creative thinking and technical insight have led to his many innovative developments in the areas of supercar and high-performance automotive design.

Norwood founded Norwood Autocraft in Dallas, Texas, during the late seventies. The initial focus of the business was vintage Ferrari restoration and service. Norwood's first cars were a Ferrari 330 2+2 road car and a Boano Ferrari club racer. Focus shifted to full car construction of performance automobiles, including racing cars, in later years.

Concentrating initially on Ferraris, Norwood built a Ferrari V-12, Ferrari speed record cars and authentic Ferrari P-4 replicas. The first Ferrari replica was a 59/TR (Testarossa) built in 1981. Creation of four replicas began the same year. The year 1985 brought about the 1967 330/P4 replica, the vehicle that captured the 1967 Manufacturers' Championship for Ferrari. Norwood is still manufacturing these replicas today. Also in 1985, Norwood built a 83/308 Ferrari, the first with programmable fuel injection that competed on the Bonneville Salt Flats setting the F-GT and F-Modified class speed records at 168 mph and 170 mph. Those records still stand. During 1988 Norwood built a Ferrari GTO to Bonneville race specs and ran it at 267 mph, a record that still stands as the fastest Ferrari in the world. Ferrari GTO V-8's and V12's are still current projects. Norwood built his favorite type of of runner - a nearly stock intercooled twin turbo Ferrari Testarossa that could top out at 210 mph. The car won the Road & Track Shootout that year. Norwood is still manufacturing the Testarossa with the most recent test obtaining over 1000 hp at the rear wheels of a street car.

Norwood has turned his own racing career into a racing future for race teams. Currently, Norwood Autocraft builds race and street motors for several teams. He has spent long hours turning empty frames into well constructed racing machines. Fuel injection and engine management continue to keep Norwood on the leading edge of technology.

Norwood's passion for automobiles started at a young age. Bob Norwood began his racing career at age 13, driving a 1946 Ford Coupe, in Kansas where he competed in his first drag race. He continued drag racing while in high school, driving a six cylinder GMC G-Gas Coupe and later an A-Sports Corvette. After graduation Anderson Motors, a Chrysler dealer, sponsored Norwood requiring him to "get rid of the Corvette." Instead, they provided an altered wheel base funny car, an AFX Hemi Plymouth, following with three Hahn SS/DA Hemi-Cuda's. In 1971 he raced superstocks in a Hemi-Cuda reached number two in the world A/FC point standings. Norwood raced an AA/FC with Dale Armstrong and eventually moved to race the Lone Star Flyer, a BB/FC car.

Cam AM racing began in 1982 for Norwood with the purchase of the 1979 Citi-Corp Championship car from Carl Hass. He ran SCCA A-Sports with driver Phil Compton and continued on in 1983 with the addition of a second Lola 333 driven by Mike Rowe.

Partnered with Don Walker late in 1983, Norwood bought Team VDS and won Cam AM in 1984. A new team formed in 1985 with March Cam AM cars and drivers Price Cobb and Jim Crawford. Unfortunately, Cam Am died about that time.

Needing a place to race, Norwood decided upon Indy. His crew finished 4th, at the Long Beach Grand Prix, was DNF at Phoenix and finished 16th at the 1985 Indy 500. Crawford drove all races.

He has successfully raced alcohol and nitro funny dragsters, raced motorcycles, raced Cam AM, raced and researched the outer limits of nitrous and oxygen as super oxidizers. The salt flats of Bonneville, Utah gave Norwood three records, two that he still owns, despite eleven years and numerous attempts to break them. Norwood runs Bonneville every year possible. In 1992, Oldsmobile had Batten and Norwood fabricate and test their Aerotech racing cars to set forty-seven new endurance records with the new Aurora engines. Many of the drivers were from the Norwood Autocraft organization.

You will see a lot of Ferraris at Norwood's. When it comes to service, Norwood Autocraft vastly outperforms the everyday Ferrari dealer. Norwood is a legendary figure - to his car-loving Edge-seeking customers who like to pay the high price for high performance. Many of these clients have been with him for years.

Norwood has expanded to other types of marquee's. This includes the creation of Porsche Club racers and an all-wheel drive Porsche C-4 and Porsche racing engines, as well as applying the dual-fuel concept of turbo-charging to an Aura NSX. Norwood has expanded his research and development contracts and has become a noted expert witness for legal testimony.

Norwood's $500,000 Porsche creation made its appearance in 1995 - the racer DOOM. It was a supercar with ultra-high-tech fabrication utilizing components, of Indy cars and other radical cars put to use in a new way. The 3.6 supercharged engine designed to last 24 minutes did the job beating every competitor. The record remains unbroken. DOOM, named after the biggest selling computer game of all time that helped to finance it, disappeared on July 31, 1995 - stolen from outside Norwood's fabricating shop and not seen since.

Norwood has continued his new developments in 1997. He has built two new 4 cylinder Porsche 968 turbo DOOM cars.
Old 10-15-2002 | 04:31 PM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Wow, thanks for the history lesson there, bret. Quite interesting. Like I was saying, with enough money, the horespower can be had.
Old 10-15-2002 | 04:31 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Thanks Bret. You don't smile and walk away from Bob Norwood.
Old 10-15-2002 | 04:48 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Norwood was on the Discovery channel the other night when they had a special on drag racing and hot rods. He's working on some 4 cylinder, twin HUGE turbo dragsters!

I think Scott Gomes helped him on the DOOM car..wonder where that thing is, the first one..?
Old 10-15-2002 | 05:38 PM
K27w
Advanced

There's HP then there is HP!
Top fuel dragsters making HP in the 1000's needs a rebuild every 4.8 seconds.
Old 10-15-2002 | 05:47 PM
Turby
Banned

I have never heard of the "doom car". Can anyone enlighten me on is specs, or mabe post a pic?????
Old 10-15-2002 | 06:01 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

I have the article...I'll try to post it.
Old 10-15-2002 | 06:23 PM
QUICK'44
Advanced

Norwood was selling the "back-up" Doom motor about a year ago for...i think $50K. This was a long block only and was supposedly half price.

I cant imagine where you'd put 100K into a long block ,used the factory head and block (which they did)....$50K maybe...maybe,but even that's a stretch.
Old 10-15-2002 | 08:36 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danno, I believe, told me that part of Norwood's secret was innovative addiction to SERIOUS intercoolers...

I read a story a few years ago- a modded Viper (maybe forced induction) turned &gt;600 on the rollers at a Dallas dyno. It had posted the highest #'s that day and the proud owners were carefully loading it onto the trailer for it's pampered ride home. While doing so, a man rolled in, straight off the hot summer Dallas streets (~100 degrees) in a fairly stock LOOKING Ferrari. When strapped down, that puppy turned a bit over 1000! Afterwards, the guy drove it right back out onto the city streets...

He IS amazing- thanks for the write-up Ski- I've always wanted to know more about him. He seems even more elusive than Jon Milledge. Scott Gomes is another, but I've never heard anything about his engines either- that is NOT to say he isn't capable...

Anyone know if Bob builds motors for people for $, or does one have to be in an exclusive club of competing racers, or does he just do his own projects, etc?

Someone mentioned Milledge's 3.1L- he's built several ~540HP 3.1L's that began as 3.0L 968s- bored & turbo using 8 valve head. Anyone ever turbo one of these using a 16V head? Also, should there be any dif b/t turboing an S2 or 968- same block, but would the 968 be more technical or anything (like variocam?) need deleting from 968 for simplicity?

I've always wondered what the dif would be b/t maxing out a 951 engine and maxing out a 968 engine, assuming they both were 3.0L or taken to 3.1L? Might not be fair though- if the 968 engine could be bored over the same amount as the 951 ~6mm max then the 968 should be ~3.3L...

Obviously the 951 could have used more stroke- be nice if 951 had S2/968 stroke- maybe for Turbo S- it would be closer to square- I'm not sure that would help at all. The larger S2/968 block allowed extra bore (104mm from 100mm)- w/more stroke, it had about the same ratio...

Has ANYONE ever heard of a custom stroke- longer than 968? Are there any advantages to perfectly squared engines- under, over, etc? I'm sure there's a max length that'll actually fit though AND that there's a max bore too...

VW guy's have had custom cranks for VR6's for a LONG time- expensive, as would be a custom Porsche crank, but the 968 crank isn't exactly cheap... Custom VW cranks take 2.8L's up to 3.1L. I have only heard of one guy boring a VR6 to ~3.2L, ~2yrs ago- said it was cheaper than stroke. BTW- I know a place or two- I think one was Devek- built a longer stroker crank for the 928...

I'm just curious about some of this stuff. Any thoughts or actual data anyone? Anyone ever own or driven a Scott Gomes engine- any input or info at all? Anyone have an engine by any of these guys (SG, JM, or BN)? What about building a longer stroker crank for our cars?

What about overall HP/TQ like the original question- any ideas about what's the best engine for incredible, STREETABLE, RELIABLE (repeat RELIABLE) HP/TQ? SupraTT's, RX-7TT's, 300ZXTT's, etc- or some of the newer ones like VW V8s/V12s (IS there a VW V10?)? Some of the Audi engines are pretty impressive, but most w/BIG #'s are pretty heavy. I'm wondering about some lightweight engines w/immense HP/TQ, and if there are any w/better ratios or that are better equipped to make immense power for reasonable amounts than a 951. The 951's ~405lbs- VR6 is fairly small for 6cyl so I assume it's relatively light, but the 1.8L turbo is supposed to be much lighter, and, being turbo, it makes me wonder. EX: the 968 3.0L engine, w/16v & variocam, etc is ~30lbs lighter than the 2.5L turbo w/intercooler, etc, so the turbo, etc does add weight. Do extra cylinders, in and of themselves actually help give more power or actually add weight? I know they generally add disp, but if the same disp were created w/a 4cyl, wouldn't it have the same potential as the 6cyl? I understand the larger 4's are not as smooth, etc, thus the need for balance shafts- how do the weights of the 951, S2 & 968 engines stack up against some of the more performance oriented engines out there? Alright- I've babbled more than enough...

Thanks,
Robby
Old 10-15-2002 | 09:19 PM
Paul Bloomberg
Pro

It's all the fuel pump, that is the secret!
I have seen quite a few 400whp 951's. Sorry, mine has a stock the fuel pump. It is reliable, uses a MAF.(doesn't have stand alone engine mgmt)and was built by one of the shops mentioned.
The cars that I know of are track cars that get abused more on the track in one race than most street cars will in a year.
I think Rage2's car has the highest hp for a 2.5 I have ever seen, I mean heard of. I am still trying to find out what his dyno chart reads at 5252 rpm (hp/trq)???
Paul
Old 10-15-2002 | 09:33 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robby - well I guess we have covered the most hp from 2.5 to 3.1 951 and 968. For the "what is the best hp/torque and reliable", I think it just boils down to the individual and how deep his/her wallet is. Speed cost money and you can go as fast as you can afford, I think we can all say yes to that one. You get addicted to that rush of the speed and the force that sets you back in the seat - I do. Also is the car, be it weekend warrior, racetrack ready, or the everyday driver, to be your passion. Some people fish, some hunt in exotic places, camping, hiking, etc.

Example me: it is a toy actually, weekend warrior, who is on a budget; mortgage, retirement plan, and college fund. The paint and interior(mint) are way to nice to gut it for a track car. I am also a big waterskier, used to promo for MasterCraft; hence "Ski". When I get the fuel mixture sorted out, when it turns 350-360 on the Dynojet and about 290-300 on the Mustang dyno, the air fuel is at 12.1-12.5,,I'm through with the performance enhancements. I've got the 968 M030 bars to install, Bilsteins all around done,,,anyway, when this is done, there are three of us who are going to find a tired 951, bring it back to life and make a track car. They are both pilots, FedEx and American, I'm an engineer who works offshore, so we will have plenty of labor time with our schedules. So the question is now,,what will that hp and reliability be? Hmmmmm, the saga continues.
Old 10-16-2002 | 04:18 AM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

i wanna know about these DOOM cars
Old 10-16-2002 | 05:30 AM
Danno
Race Director

Bob Norwood's my HERO !!! Along with Scott Gomes and Milledge of course . Here's a photo of the DOOM car:

Also an article on some other insane Norwood creations (I hope PorscheG96 can post this DOOM articles) :

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/NorwoodTestarossa1.jpg" target="_blank">Norwood Testarossa Pg.1</a>
<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/NorwoodTestarossa2.jpg" target="_blank">Norwood Testarossa Pg.2</a>
<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/NorwoodTestarossa3.jpg" target="_blank">Norwood Testarossa Pg.3</a>
<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/NorwoodTestarossa4.jpg" target="_blank">Norwood Testarossa Pg.4</a>
<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/NorwoodTestarossa5.jpg" target="_blank">Norwood Testarossa Pg.5</a>
<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/NorwoodTestarossa6.jpg" target="_blank">Norwood Testarossa Pg.6</a>
Old 10-16-2002 | 06:19 AM
sweanders
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by Danno:
<strong>Bob Norwood's my HERO !!! Along with Scott Gomes and Milledge of course . Here's a photo of the DOOM car:

Also an article on some other insane Norwood creations (I hope PorscheG96 can post this DOOM articles) :

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great article!

Quick Reply: The most powerful 951