Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator's Cooling Duct was Off and other Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 01:18 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Question Alternator's Cooling Duct was Off and other Q's

While attempting to remove the alternator, I noticed that the cooling duct was halfway off the back of the alternator. I know many of you have warned that this will cook the alternator, which is probably what happened to mine. The alternator will be rebuilt, so I was wondering what needs to be paid close attention to as a result of the cooling duct being off? Or is the rebuild going to take care of whatever was cooked? A new voltage regulator will go on the alternator, at the very least.

Also, does the metal coolant crossover pipe have to come off in order to remove the alternator?
And the smaller hoses with the metal ends that plug into the J-shaped intake boot seem to be stuck. How can I safely pull them off so I can remove the J-boot? I plan to replace most of the coolant hoses while I have everything apart.

Thanks in advance,
sm
Old 04-03-2002, 08:28 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
bumpscheezie
Old 04-03-2002, 09:23 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sm, If it was just the cooling duct that was off, I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you were not loading the alternator up with big electrical loads all the time. Like monster stereo amps.

The diodes are the high risk factor here, followed by regulator.

You don't need to remove that metal coolant crossover pipe. The stuck pieces: might try and squirt them with penetrating oil, but better clean it up good as that oil may attack the rubber after a while. Then work a screw driver in to break the seal.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:08 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
A missing duct won't cook the alternator immediately, but I'm sure it shortens the lifespan. PET lists a gasket between the duct and the back of the alt. You might wanna get a new one. If you loosen the coolant crossover pipe bolts, you can move it around a little providing some extra clearance to get the alt out.

Tom
'87 951
'86 Supra - new head gskt far from finished

Quick Reply: Alternator's Cooling Duct was Off and other Q's