Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHAT THE.... please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post WHAT THE.... please help

I was on the interstate for a while on ym way to illinois. I got off and went to a stoplight and when i tried to put it in first the gears jsut grinded like hell. suddenly the only gears i could use were 4th and 5th. I got 2nd to work once or twice. I made it from Half day road back to my house in kenosha, which is a good 50 - 60 miles using only 4th and 5th gear! luckaly we have the I-Pass things on out tolls here, I dont have an I-Pass membership but i jsut went thorugh anyway.

anyway i did make it home ( i dont really beleive it myself ) but why the heck are my gears grinding. If i push the shifter back REALLY hard i can get it to just barely grasp the gears. for a couple months now i have been able to move my shifter back and forth about an inch and half without it coming out of gear. It has jsut been really loose. and finaly it jsut crapped out. Im nto sure what i have to fix. its that stupid linkage on top of the tranny but i dont know what to do to it. i looked and it felt like the bolts are still tight, i could really see because there was a red hot muffler by me head at the time. How can i get ym shifter back to being nice and stuff and not have any play.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:20 AM
Cass944
Drifting

well jee thanks for rushing to help, but i figured it out anyway. that metal block with the 2 holes in it is the problem. one of the holes has been stretched out and the bolt was barely moving it. i just put it in the other hole. the trow is a little longer now but it feels way better than before. i cant move the shifter like 2 inches back and forth while its in a gear anymore.

BTW i bought some box rockers for 150$ today. i thought it was a sweet deal.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:04 AM
OC Porsche
Racer

Hey Cass, check the metal block with the 2 holes in it ...... doh! too late..

Old 04-15-2003, 02:19 AM
Cass944
Drifting

heh thanks anyway, what is that block called. So i can try to find a new one. I know ive heard of people replacing the shift fiber? is that what that is? its almost like the bolt going into the ball coupler joint thing is to long. it wont thread in far enough to be able to hold it still enough. Im going to try to find a better bolt to put in there. Its been weird ever since we changed the clutch.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:57 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Cass944:
<strong>well jee thanks for rushing to help
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Anytime!

Thanks for keeping a positive attitude..err...nevermind.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must have a short shift kit fitted, cheapest way would be to get a machine shop to make you a new piece, the bolt must be loctighted in or it will come loose.

Quick Reply: WHAT THE.... please help