Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Hando32
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch

Is ther a way to check the ignition switch while it is in the car.
I have changed the DME, checked the coil and sensors, still not running properly.
It will start now and then, or when it wants to. After advise on here, Grandpa suggested to check the ignition switch, with others saying that it was a good idea.
Read Clarks Garage about how to do it, but my 944 is an 85 1/2, and the ignition switch has the break of bolts in the switch. Why they do that, only Porsch would know.
I have the steering wheel ect. off.
I am currently in Mexico, so I can not take it a service centre, no one knows anything about them.
I just want to get it back to the States, to sort it out if I have to.
Which is the wire comeing out of the switch that sends the current to the ,Can I bypass the switch to see if it works. or can I "Hotire" the car to get me home.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated
AUS
Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 PM
n_hall
Racer

i remember starting mine with a screwdriver. i can't remember exactly how it's put together so i can't help you out anymore than that, sorry.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 PM
n_hall
Racer

just checked out a picture of an assembly. if you remove the ignition switch.
this piece http://944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Sto...skukey_1001712
if you look behind the entire ignition assembly there will be 2 small screws holding the switch on. take them out and the switch will come out.
and put the connection back on the switch, unless you didn't take if off of course.
you will notice a female + on the switch, side opposite the connection.
put a phillips screwdriver in and turn.

i'm not sure if this is your idea of "testing while on the car," but it seems like a good way to test it. it will at least take one piece of the complication out.

and if you decide to take out the sheared screws holding the assembly on replace them with the cv joint bolts. they're a perfect fit. of course that will only be handy if you have old ones laying around.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Homer
Instructor

here are the early car electric diagrams, maybe you can check the wiring in the switch positions.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/944/elec...l_diagrams.htm

was all well before? could be a fuel problem as well...
Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Replacing an ignition switch on my 86 951 was one of the more humbling jobs I've done, except a clutch job. The mounting screws are almost impossible to get at while laying on your back, feet draped over your seat, with blood rushing to your brain. Be careful removing the electrical connector from the switch, it can separate the entire bottom end of the switch. I had an intermittent hot start problem for years and the new ignition switch was the last thing I tried...no more problem. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch