Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo VS. S2

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ninefiveone:
<strong>Let's settle one misconception right off the bat.

There is no turbo lag at the track. It's that simple. Anyone who says there is has either never driven a turbo at the track, has too large a turbo for their motor, or likes to drive around tracks at under 3000rpm.

That said, a stock turbo has more torque and hp than an S2 with the same suspension. Now that we all know and understand that there is no lag at the track, which do you think will be faster at the track?

"S2 has greater low end torque to pull you out of corners" - An S2 has more torque below 3000rpm. Again, who's driving around tracks at under 3000rpm? A turbo makes significantly more torque than an S2 above 3000rpm and that is what really pulls you out of corners.

A properly driven 944T needs to carry momentum just as much as the next car. Low hp cars that carry momentum through a corner can and will pass cars that just wait until the straight to step on the pedal.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I think you're right.
I've driven a turbo on autoX and with a bit of shifting and heel-toe-braking, I was able to avoid lag. On a track with less dramatic corners, it should be simpler.
You can also buy items like a $90 boost enhancer, to get the turbo spooling up better.
And if somebody is using a powerful engine to make up for bad cornering, then he should work on his cornering skills.

And Fishey, you need to tell your friend to work on his launches. If I put it up to 2000RPMs, then floor it right before the green light appears (on the street, not the strip) I get almost instant boost. It's probably not great on the clutch or tires, but it's fast.

As for the decision. Get the one that is in the best condition at the best price, or if you plan on doing some racing, get the turbo, if it's in slightly worse condition and/or slightly more expensive.

Quick Reply: Turbo VS. S2