Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the trip meter work while the odometer is broken?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Will the trip meter work while the odometer is broken?

I am wondering if its possible for the odometer to be broken, while the trip meter works? I have been reading all the previous posts regarding this and none of the previous messages addresses this.

I have a 1986 951, the trip meter doesn't reset... I know the button nis the air ven adjuster look alike switch. When I push it with the key in, nothing happens. Is there a fuse?

My trip meter works, but I'm not sure if the odometer works. I haven't been able to drive the thing too much. When the odometer is broken, will the trip meter break as well?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Kelly
Old 05-07-2003, 03:02 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check to see if the switch is properly aligned behind the vents.
I think that if the odometer gear goes, neither one will work. I'm not sure though.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:09 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine did, speeedo broken when I got the car, trip still fine. I checked it against highway milemarkers and it seemed to be accurate too.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:45 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by led:
<strong>check to see if the switch is properly aligned behind the vents.
I think that if the odometer gear goes, neither one will work. I'm not sure though.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">From what I saw this appears to be correct. Please note that the trip reset has to be correctly aligned behind the vent in order to work. It is keyed so that it only fits one way but the key prongs are short and could break/come loose very easily. Also, there is a plunger on the back of the speedo that swivels and moves back and forth. It has to be perfectly aligned and in a receptacle to work. Another failure point possibility is that the part behind the air vent is an electrical switch. I suppose it's possible for the switch to go bad. HTH.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:34 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

If the "gear" in the odometer is broken, the trip won't turn either.

If the trip isn't resetting, that could be the switch in the dash not lining up with the plunger or other related electronics in that system...

HTH.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:40 AM
Kelly Chiu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jesus could they make this thing any more complex? Okay so it looks like I'll have to take apart the guage cluster and look at 3 possible failure points.

Thank you for your responses.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM
fasterfaster
Rennlist Member

Bumping a super old thread because my odo is broken but my trip meter is continuing to function. Would like to diagnose and order parts before I take the car apart. Could this be the usual gear or is something else going on. From everything I've read, when the odo gear breaks both the odometer and trip meter stop turning... not on my car.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are many potential failure points in the speedo. I had one that the gear right on the end of the main odo stripped because the cylinders on the odo jammed. I had another one that the main worm gear stripped so neither worked. BTW once I got them apart to tell what was wrong, I couldn't get either back together .... take pictures or send it to a repair shop!

Quick Reply: Will the trip meter work while the odometer is broken?