Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 Speaker Questions about the MB Quart Components

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 12:20 AM
MachSchnell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dunno, I'm afraid to turn on the radio...I guessed on the wiring hookups, so until I can get at the wiring harness and be positive about which wires are which, I'm going to just leave the stereo off. Plus, I have an MP3 head unit I'll be installing soon, so I just want to do everything before I hook it up (probably dumb, I sshould see what a difference the speakers make...I think I just talked myself into doing that tomorrow)
Old 04-28-2003, 12:38 AM
Ethan
Rennlist Member

Should sound great. I have Eclipse head unit, amp, and equilizer running MB Quarts. My passenger side 5.25 needs some adjusting, don't know if it is the size or a blown speaker yet; that diagnosis is coming tomorrow. Good luck
Old 04-28-2003, 04:13 AM
xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If those x-overs are the ones I am thinking of, the -6,-3 etc. is for attenuation on the tweeter. It has been my experience that if they are mounted anywhere near the woofer, especially if you didn't aim it up, you will want to use the 0 setting. I think you will find the MB Quarts sound best when used with the x-overs they ship with.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:47 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Yup, I finally got them fired up tonight after verifying my wiring was correct. DAYUMMM they sound sweet! My old 3.5" were trash, and the 5.25" were in good shape, but I would definitely recommend this. The Xover seems to be phenomenal, fitment is near stock, just a little bulge at the rear of the panel where it separates from the door a hair (I could probably fix it if it bothered me) but the sound is mind boggling...the 5.25 put out an astonishing amount of low end, I can't wait to hear how full the car sounds with the new head unit, decent soldered connections (PO or PPO twisted everything together and taped it), and some mild amped sub fill from the rear!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:09 AM
MachSchnell
Pro

Also, anyone have suggestions on fabricating speaker mesh covers? The factory covers are just a tad too shallow for the tweeters the way they were set up...I would like to keep it as stock looking as possible and was thinking of just replicating the stock ones with a bit more 'depth' to that small shoulder that folds down and fits into the plastic piece, but I'm a bit leery about 1) materials - I could hack up the 5.25 covers that came with the quarts, but I'd like to have some spare material in case I fudge it and 2) making the fit proper...anyone have suggestions for this?

Quick Reply: 10 Speaker Questions about the MB Quart Components