Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 11:49 PM
Chad S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post clutch adjustment question

I just had the Master and Slave clutch cylinder replaced (about two weeks ago). When I got the car back it ran great. About 100 miles I had to re-adjust the clutch. Is this normal? Anyhow I think the clutch is not adjusted correctly. I’m not sure what the manual means by 1/8” free play. I do not seem to feel any free play when adjusting it or I do not know what the free play feel like. Don’t think I’m stupid I know what free play should feel like I just don’t get that feeling when adjusting the clutch. Can any one help me determine what it should feel like?

If any Atlanta owners that have done this would like to help this would be more than appreciated.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:19 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Adjust the clutch? How did you do that? Do you mean the actual clutch disk, or the clutch pedal? I think that the 1/8" menas pedal free play. Any body else?
Old 04-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Chad S
Advanced

I adjusted the pedal. It seams like its slipping or not right.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only "adjustments" for the clutch system is the free play between the end of the clutch peddle push rod and the clutch master cylinder piston, and the "peddle force".

The free play is adjusted by turning the turn buckle. You want to set this so there is about 0.5mm of free play. This is necessary to keep from "riding the clutch."

The peddle force is determined by a spring on the clutch peddle linkage. Turn the nut one way and the peddle takes less force to depress. Turn the nut the other way and it takes more force to depress the peddle.

The only other maintainance for the clutch system is bleeding the slave master cylinder.

HTH

Cliff Hipsher
'84 944 Sobel Metallic
'87 944 India Red
Old 04-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only "adjustments" for the clutch system is the free play between the end of the clutch peddle push rod and the clutch master cylinder piston, and the "peddle force".

The free play is adjusted by turning the turn buckle. You want to set this so there is about 0.5mm of free play. This is necessary to keep from "riding the clutch."

The peddle force is determined by a spring on the clutch peddle linkage. Turn the nut one way and the peddle takes less force to depress. Turn the nut the other way and it takes more force to depress the peddle.

The only other maintainance for the clutch system is bleeding the slave master cylinder.

HTH

Cliff Hipsher
'84 944 Sobel Metallic
'87 944 India Red

Quick Reply: clutch adjustment question