Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch release cable too short, broken cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010 | 01:57 AM
krookideyez
Track Day

Default Hatch release cable too short, broken cable

Hey guys, maybe you can help me?

So I recently had my 944 painted, it looks great but the guys at the body shop did something to the rear hatch.

All I know is that they removed the hatch completely to paint the car and that when I got it back, it wouldn't close properly. I ended up adjusting the rod ends on the hatch release and got the hatch opening and closing properly with the key.

The next day I went to open the hatch with the release button beneath the driver side dash and I heard something snap from the rear. The cable broke off right at the hook which connects to the release motor.

I figured it was old and broke from overuse so I bought another one.

I went to install it today and find out that the cable doesn't reach the motor when the key is in the locked position.

I'm assuming this is the reason it broke in the first place since the motor revolves 360 degrees. I removed the hatch latches just to be sure they had nothing to do with what was going on and it still doesn't reach. The guy at the body shop said they did not remove the key lock or anything else other than the hatch itself.

I fiddled around back there all afternoon and I still can't figure out what's going on. Anyone have something similar or any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff
Old 07-21-2010 | 05:27 PM
krookideyez
Track Day

I guess my biggest question is, by pushing the button under the driver's seat to open the hatch by motor, does it unlock the hatch key lock? By pushing on the bottom left wing (essentially trying to open the lock without putting the key in) I can't open the lock.

Won't this break the cable when using the motor to open the hatch?

So, here's the image from 944online for the rear hatch lock. Are those two wings supposed the be offset the way they are in the picture or are they supposed to be lined up? I have them lined up.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2010 | 08:04 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I just replaced that cable without any issues. I'm pretty sure the electric opener does not turn the key lock.
Old 07-22-2010 | 10:00 AM
krookideyez
Track Day

Nevermind, I figured it out.

I had the left side rod that opens the left latch hooked into the rear most wing (on the lock) as well as the front. So, the key lock was resisting the rear most wing unless you have the key in the lock.

I switched the rod into the front wing only and viola! Works like it's supposed to, the motor pulls the cable and the lock doesn't resist.

This still doesn't explain why the cable was broken in the first place because everything was correct before I took it apart. So, the mystery goes on...

Quick Reply: Hatch release cable too short, broken cable