Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with an Aircompressor????? or Priorities in fixing your Pcar

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 09:19 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jim, how much torque can that DeWalt deal with? I have been agonizing over whether to buy a compressor and tools for years now, YEARS, but can't justify it for the ~ 10 intractible nuts/bolts per year I have to deal with. If the Electric Torque wrench works reasonably well...

curious

Thaddeus, thinking queasily about the garage so full that it couldn't store a compressor if it was collapsed into dark matter
Old 03-09-2002, 11:16 AM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thaddeus, I really don't recall the rated torque; I bought it about 4 (?) years ago. A visit to DeWalt's website, assuming they have one, would probably tell you. Mine is model DW290. It's 1/2" drive. ISTR that it was in the $250 price range, but that may be wrong.

Good points? Requires no compressor or hose, just an extension cord (I've got a multi-plug cord for my trouble light, so no extra hassle at all). Not real noisy. Doesn't require periodic oiling. Works fine on a 15 amp breaker, which some compressors may trip.

Bad points? Probably not as much 'grunt' as a good air impact gun. A lot heavier (works your forearm more) & bulkier (won't fit into tight spots as well).

I've done rear shock mount bolts with it with no problem; it's my regular tool for pulling lug nuts. Even with a compressor & air tools, I reach for it first. As always, YMMV.

The compressor is great, tho', for running a 3/8" air rachet, which is useful if you're doing a _lot_ of bolts on a job. For most DIY'ers, a compressor is maybe two steps of usefulness above a winch on a suburbanite's SUV...

Jim... kinda like vest pockets on a turtle...
Old 03-09-2002, 01:26 PM
Franco44
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ELLSSUU,

Yeah, go ahead and get some air. I bought a compressor from Home Depot for a nail gun (about $200) and when I was done building I bought about $200 worth of air tools from Harbor Freight and got quite a bit. My guess is that the tools are made is Asia but for the home mechanic use they do quite well. I think I bought a 1/2 and 3/8" impact gun, 3/8" rachet, loads of sockets and more for that price and all have worked admirably.
That said, I agree with others that using them to tighten things can be an issue. A torque wrench is always a must but boy can air loosen things up in a hurry!

Good Luck.
Old 03-10-2002, 02:07 AM
newoldguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a couple of cents worth from my end of the planet. I have had a compressor for about 10 years and like it a lot. I use it sparingly (for taking off lug nuts) and I wouldn't use it for putting spark plugs IN. Also, I do woodworking and have acquired some air nailers which are GREAT to have. Overall, its a great addition to the garage and I will always have one---if for no other reason than airing up tires.

Tom L--to answer your question---it doesn't hurt to keep pressure in the tank. Just one caveat---make sure you occasionally "drain" your tank to get the moisture out (use the petcock on the bottom). I actually saw a shop where a tank blew and took out about a one foot square of wall when the owners didn't pay attention to this critical maintenance. I'm glad I wasn't standing downrange when it happened.
Old 03-10-2002, 03:11 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, drain the tank or else the water will get into your hand tools or it will slowly rust your tank.

I did repair for years with just a socket. It really depends on how fast you want to go.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:24 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
ELLSSUU,
Damn, your right around the corner from me dude.

Look at the specs on the tools you wish to operate.
There will be a consumption on say, an impact wrench, like 5.4CFM at 90psi, in that case the choice you listed will be insufficient.
In compressors, volume speaks, well volumes, lol, I run two 60 galoon tanks co-phased, cause cleaning parts and painting requires plenty air. I can use a 1/2 drive impact, for quite a while before my compressor even come on.
If you ever get to Plaquemine, look me up, be glad to meet you, show off my P cars and discuss yours.
My shop is on La.1 on the South of town...
We use Mitchell time guide, so there's no surprises, and only $45.00 per hour, more than resonable, cause I truly love these cars, that's why I have 3 of them.....
Old 03-10-2002, 02:29 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

For about 10 years I've had a Skil cordless electric 3/8 drive ratchet. now you don't use it to break loose stubborn bolts, but it does come in very handy for running down loose bolts and really helps on an oil pan with a kazillion bolts or tight spots where you can't swing a ratchet and you can even use it on spark plugs once you've started them . They are a little hard to find now, I saw one at Ace hardware last fall for about $35. I personally would never be without one. Very big effort saving device. Just always keep it in the charger.

Quick Reply: Anyone with an Aircompressor????? or Priorities in fixing your Pcar