Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010 | 02:14 AM
thelawon
1st Gear

Default New owner thread

Hey all,

I've been a lurker on the threads for a few months now, and decided to say "hello" and ask some questions. I recently purchased an '84 944 with the thought that it'd become a hands-on car. I was a little disappointed with how computerized cars have become, but that's neither here nor there...I just want to learn to do a few things myself! The bad news is that I have near zero mechanical know-how. The good news is that the car runs, so it's not like I'm starting from scratch.

Ok, so I'll start with a couple of the simpler issues. First, I need to replace the speedo cable. I've read numerous threads on this, and feel like I now "know" what to do. The problem is simply execution: I haven't been able to pop out the gauge for the life of me. One forum suggested popping out the gas/temp gauge first, but that one won't even budge in the slightest. Going straight for the speedo gauge gets it about 80% of the way out, but my hand can't reach to push it any further. There is plenty of slack in the cord, so I don't imagine that is the issue. Without knowing more, I'm afraid to use something other than my hand to reach in and push. Any suggestions to get it out all of the way?

Second is a cosmetics issue. The exterior is in pretty decent shape. There are, however, some larger paint peel/chips near the bottom, as seen in the image below. I've seen some posts on paint touch-up, but are these chips too big to use the same technique? Also, I have no idea how to match the color. I'm not certain, but I think this was a factory white car, that was since painted red. I could be very wrong though...is there a way to find out what color it came originally? And even if it came Guards Red or something, it's likely faded some. Suggestions on matching paint? It doesn't need to be perfect for me - if you couldn't tell from 10 feet, I'd be ecstatic.

Alright, I'll probably hit up the collective experience again in the future, but for now, thanks in advance on these issues.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2010 | 02:24 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

you can find the paint name and code on a sticker in the engine bay. open the hood and look for a whitish-colored sticker near the windshield wipers. the code is 4 characters long and the paint name should also be there.

otherwise it can be hard to match the color unless there is a code for it or something. some shops can match it and give you some paint but this costs $. maybe your local auto painter can identify it if it's a common color.
Old 07-13-2010 | 04:17 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

welcome...

it's ok to tell everybody your first name when you are new. there are amazing Porsche techs and extremely knowledgable people who work on their cars here. 944s are great cars. the non-turbos want for more power, but overall the n/a's (naturally-aspirated cars) are still a blast to drive. unfortunately, they can get quite expensive as your daily ride the during the second 100 k miles....

but, driving them everyday IS best for the cars. they shouldn't sit.

get a 2nd car that no longer runs... doesn't matter what the seller wishes to call it -- it will be an invaluable parts car.

strip it -- of everything including cylinder heads, steering rack, transmission, front and rear glass and more.... parts you would never think of saving. the guys here will be happy to provide a long list of parts to take off a dead 944. that's a good place to begin as you learn all you can about your car.

here's a nice thread about 944/968 tools you need...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...tool-list.html

begin with a proper "engine refresh." @ the timing system... but you should learn to change your belts first, from an experienced tech. people try to do it themselves, make a slight mistake, and end up destroying their valves... $$$.

belt retensioning should be done asap, but if the belts are more than three years old, or "could be," then change the timing/bs belts, tensioner, and rollers... consider those plastic tensioner/rollers may be a 1/4 century old... the plastic never stops curing and has only fractions of original tensile strength... (you can go further by replacing the H20 pump, seals, and more)...

cap, rotor, plugs and spark plug wires should be done next.... (old wires rot).

older, 944s often suffer from electrical problems... you may experience a short at some point.

new owners often forget about changing the transmission oil, coolant and brake fluid... inspect the coolant resevior for sediment, sludge, slime, or signs of past overheating. the tanks don't last forever... make sure your radiator fan switch is coming on properly...

you can refresh the suspension rubber, (rebuld the lower control arms, etc)... brakes.

all guard's red cars fade. your car was probably, always guards red.

you may end up falling in love with chevy "victory red," it's very close to guards red.

it's nice and can save you $$$.

what to do with the old fuel when you part a car...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0706499890889#

Last edited by odurandina; 07-13-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2010 | 12:09 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

You also have an options sticker on the back of the car, under the glass hatch, roughly in the middle of the two tail lights but on the inside of the car. The carpet back there is held on by snaps - unsnap it, and take a look. BTW, a lot of people don't paint that part when they change colors, so looking back there, or int he little cubbies behind the rear wheels in the luggage area might show the original color.

Nice looking car, love the Fuchs.

Quick Reply: New owner thread