Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"MUSTANG DYNO" results, not dynojet

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post "MUSTANG DYNO" results, not dynojet

OK,,1st off the numbers are low for what I have but after the first run,,wanting to SCREAM at Vision and Dwain on the cell phone AR to CA, I calmed down after the explanation. But I also called three other "tuners" who frequent this board and they CONFIRMED(not that I don't trust people but it was my $$$$) that a MUSTANG, in the ground & load bearing, DYNO does read about 80hp and torque less, on average, than a dynojet. The Mustang will read very conservatively but it is your BUTT dyno, what you really feel on the road. The dynojet is more of an Accelerometer dyno than load bearing. So here goes,,I'll scan and post later my HP scanner is dead.

Data
Temp 76°
Humidity 40%
Car Weight - 3/4 tank of gas = 2820#
Load into dyno computer, driver + car = 3000#
Tire pressure 45 psi
Pulled to 5800-6000rpm
Boost 17psi
Bosch 52# injectors
Fuel pressure idle, 29psi
Fuel pressure on boost, 44psi
Fans on front for radiator and fan for intake and pipes.

First run the car shifted and spun the tires so we tightened it down again. A/F was, while on boost, 12.0 to 12.9, topping out at 13.2 to 13.6 above 5600rpm, on all runs, Kokeln Software.

First Run: rwhp 247.5, torque 228.7

Second Run: rwhp 249.5, torque 236.2

Third Run:
Turbo Cup Software, A/F topped at 13.4 at the end
253.3hp, torque 244.2
This last run the torque curve jumped up at least 200 rpm sooner and was almost flat, slight increase, from 4200 rpm to 5400 rpm. So if you add 80 to the above numbers,,not bad. I did not get the cam with the package,,,I might now.

We had a touch of black smoke but not bad at all in the middle of the run. We ran voltage test on the air meter, one pin was a little low,,so I may try a new air meter.

Anyway it was a good day. The dynojet across town is not open to the public anymore because some "good ol boy" but a 450hp crate motor in a 80's pick up and on the dyno, slung drive shaft and U-joints all over the shop.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:05 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your torque is really low. I read your assumption about the Mustang Dyno but I'd be pretty pissed about that 363 package setup until I got numbers that reflected Kokeln's claim...
Old 09-27-2002, 02:05 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree- that TQ seems pretty low. I'm just a little skeptical of dyno's and stuff anyway. My mechanic DOES say that a load dyno is the ONLY type he'd use on turbo though. This is why I think it's important to get some baseline accelaration #'s before doing the mods- you can do it one of several ways- race a freind (SAFELY I might add) in something that should be relatively close, and then do it again, AFTER the mods. Or, you could use a G-Tech or some similar accelarometer. Not that any of these is the best, but I like to know how mine does against other cars- this is one of my problems w/these car (tuners)- I've hear of people spending 1000's of dollars on their 951s and claim how much stronger they feel, then, they go out and get beaten by a new Maxima or something that they were able to beat BEFORE the mods.

Anyway, what most of us want (what I want) is not #'s for bragging rights, but rather a faster car- so, it doesn't matter if your piece of paper prints out 1000RWHP/1200RWTQ, if it can still only run neck and neck w/a Cobra, or just run a 13.9 1/4, as opposed to a stock Turbo's ~14.5- in that case, something's wrong somewhere...

Anyway, I HOPE you get it sorted out...
Old 09-27-2002, 02:18 AM
Turby
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, safely race a friend with a worthy car.........we always used my car as a "Dyno" or something to measure with cauze we knew it was fast. Seat of the pants is the only one that matters in my book.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:17 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well the phone calls went to Dwain Dement, Tim Richards, Scott Gomes. Another would not even guess what his 400hp motor would do on a Mustang. dyno. All the above said the same thing; add at least 80(two said conservatively, one said to add 90) to the numbers. There is a 993 in town, a built motor, with Nitrous, pulled 272.1 rwhp and 267.7 torque on this dyno.

If you add 80 to the numbers, the last two runs reflect 329.5 hp and 316.2 torque,,third run 333.3 hp and 324.2 pounds of torque...which IS what a friends g-tech pulled, 313-324 on runs when I was trying to dail out some fuel. I'll go back to the dynojet in Memphis, but that is a 2.5 hour drive, last time I tried the O2 went out. WE hit 268 just trying to set it up, on a three quarter throttle run; which is why I was so pissed after the first run yesterday. Some friends in Tulsa I think are putting together a dyno day with a shop that has a dynojet,,road trip.

But it must be noted,,I will not get the 363 hp as it stands now,,I do not have the Web Cam that was used in the kit. I opted not to at the time. I also ran the car at 17psi instead of 18psi yesterday. Dwain was very pleased with the results from the Mustang dyno. If I got the cam and put it 18 psi, I should pull 280-290 on the Mustang dyno. Our club is having a dyno day on Oct 26th, I'll see what all the others do..go from there. I want to see what the red car with the Powerhaus head, K27, MAF pulls. Keep you advised.

Quick Reply: "MUSTANG DYNO" results, not dynojet