Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: The search for the 951

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002 | 02:26 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Talking OT: The search for the 951

I just went around the town looking at all the dealerships around Reading, PA to see if any had a car I could look over and possibly buy.

Nobody seemed in a very helpful mood today, so I stopped at about 6 places and just looked around the lot. I know these used car places sometimes get 944's and since I was in the area, I decided to take a look anyway.

The last place I stopped was some Jeep/used car dealership. I guess the guy saw that I pulled up in a shiny (I waxed her yesterday) red Toyota Tercel (Among the cheapest cars on the planet right now..). The conversation went something like this:

Dealer: "Looking for anything in particular?"
Me: "Actually I am, you wouldn't happen to have any Porsche 944 turbo's on the lot would you?"
Dealer: "Pffft, wouldn't that be nice?"
Me: "Well I figured I'd stop by and check, I know places like this sometimes get them in..."
Dealer: "Is that really what you're looking for?"
Me: "Yeah"

Anyways, I left the place feeling really really good about myself. I know this is off topic and I really don't care what people think that I can afford the car, but I don't really like how that guy judged what I could afford by what I drove.

I know this is off-topic, but what kind of treatment have you guys exprienced when looking for your car?
Old 04-01-2002 | 02:34 PM
Danno
Race Director

I find that attitude and presentation is everything. Walk, talk and carry yourself like you are King and know what you're doing and they'd better take you seriously. Borrow, rent, steal a Mercedes, Lexus or BMW to pull up in and make sure you're in a 3-piece suit with French-cuff shirt, gold & ivory links and a power tie to match. You'd be amazed at how much groveling and catering these car dealers/sales people give you!
Old 04-01-2002 | 03:53 PM
jdk1
Instructor

I hate to hear that you wern't treated well. One thing about being in the car business is that you NEVER know who the buyer is. I am more apt to avoid the guy in the power suit than the guy in the Tercel. Guess which one is more pleasurable to deal with?

In either event, most new car dealers that receive a car such as a 944 on trade are likely to wholesale it to a used car lot or a Porsche dealership. If not, they will typically advertise it in a car magazine like the ones you see by the door of the grocery store or at the counter of Blockbuster.

Hope this helps. Don't forget the pre-purchase inspection. I learned my lesson the hard way.
Old 04-01-2002 | 04:23 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Jeff, Thanks for the advice.

Did anyone buy a 951 or 944 at hershey last year? I placing my bets on picking my car up at the swap meet and I'm just wondering if there will be a place to give it a PPI or if I'll be able to get the car out of the lot to test drive it. I really think the best place to get the car would be at Hershey, but I don't want to buy it if I can't drive it or have a through PPI.

I'm trying to test drive as many as I can, perhaps I'll take a 944S out for a spin so I'll at least have something to compare it with. Do you guys have any advice in searching for the car? The selection around here is somewhat limited...
Old 04-01-2002 | 04:32 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nick, never show your money. I never go up to a dealership driving a really nice car unless I just want a test drive. The less they know about you the better. If they think you are "made" then you have lost some leverage in price negotiation.

On the flip side, act like you have all the money in the world and just want a toy - you don't really need it so you will only pay what you think it is worth. I have tried both methods to some success. I would strongly consider buying the 951 from an individual who can give some records on the car and has some clue about taking care of it.

good luck

Eugene
Old 04-01-2002 | 04:46 PM
Danno
Race Director

In general, I think for the same money, you can get a better condition car from an individual. Or given identical condition, the car from an individual would tend to cost less.
Old 04-01-2002 | 04:53 PM
John Welch
Addict
Rennlist Member

I second Danno. Don't go to a dealer unless you want to pay $2000-$5000 EXTRA dollars on the car. Not to mention they probably don't know anything about the car anyway. If you are looking for a local car, try contacting the local 944 repair shops. Oftentimes they know people who are selling.

Good luck,
Old 04-01-2002 | 05:11 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

I think buying from an individual is really the best thing to do, but I don't want to cut off all my options. If there is a place around here with a 951 to look over I think I want to take advantage of it. I'm trying to get as much exposure to the car before I make a decision.

Finding a 951 around here is fairly difficult, but I don't think there will be a problem finding one at Hershey. I want to get as much exposure as I can before I'm somewhat "forced" to make a desicison on the 20th. (Only if I can find a nice one.) Does anyone have any exprience with buying a car at a swap meet like the one in Hershey?

My first option is _NOT_ the dealer, but I am in the market for the car and I know what they are worth, hopefully I can get some exposure and find the right car.
Old 04-01-2002 | 05:35 PM
Jon Hanson
Instructor

I generally only go to dealerships to test drive cars. That was where I drove the first Porsche, it was an '83 924 for $9K. Ha! No power steering. Ha! But I loved it anyway, and started looking at Porsche's serously. I love pulling up in my 944 (as opposed to my '85 VW golf!) That way, they let me drive anything, in spite of my age. A few months back, I drove a '00 Carrara 4 and a '88 (?) RS America. Ohh, I love that RS America....sweet car.
Old 04-01-2002 | 06:28 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by nickhance:
<strong> Finding a 951 around here is fairly difficult</strong><hr></blockquote>

Man is that an understatement! I never saw a 951 for sale at a dealer around here. I may have seen maybe 6 944's for sale at dealers. The closest I saw a 951 at a dealer was NJ. I looked for about 6 months around here before I started looking further away. You should do ok at Hershey I was only there one time a while ago when I was diveing my 944na but there were cars for sale by owners. I don't know if any dealers actualy take cars there. Alot of the cars for sale just had signs with phone numbers on them but I think the event is bigger than what it was so things might be a little different now.

Quick Reply: OT: The search for the 951