Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

almost got car to start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 08:28 AM
Darkwan
AutoX

Default almost got car to start!

well finished the head gasket! put everything back together started turning over and almost started after a few tries but then my battery died it was an old one anyways...plus the boot that goes from the intake manifold to the airbox is broken i tried taping it for now i think that might be why it doesnt want to start and and idle..any input will be great...
Old 07-08-2010 | 10:44 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Nice.

Yes, you will need a new air intake ~$50 or so.

Did you check all the vacuum hoses when the intake was off for cracks? Did you replace any hoses?

You can check to see if the DME is picking up the signal from the reference sensors. Does the tach needle jump a little-1/16 inch when you grind the engine?

Did you triple check the cam belt alignment? Did you check it again? Again?

Can you hear the fuel pump?

Did you store the lifters in oil----------------in the correct position or hole they came out of?

Did your oil pressure come up at all when you tried to start or was it flat?

GL
John
Old 07-08-2010 | 12:24 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

If u didnt get it to start try switching the reference sensors first...
Old 07-08-2010 | 11:21 PM
Darkwan
AutoX

ok so i got it started..i hear a whining noise when its running and after like 40 min it got close to the red zone on the temp guage..after struggling for like 2 hours with that darn snap ring i got the thermostat out..question? is the spring on the stat suppose to be super tight to push in or is the stat just old and gone bad?
Old 07-09-2010 | 01:00 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

The waterpump has a groove for the thermostat, thermostat seal, spacer ring and snap ring.

There are 2 sizes of the groove. You usually get 2 thicknesses of thermostat seat in the box. Use the one that fits best.

The snap ring opening faces the 12 OClock position.

A 90 degree snap ring plier works the best---even a cheap $5 Harbor Freight set.

You did put the spacer in----right?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: almost got car to start!