Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a Perfect Alternative to Evil Thermostat Snap Ring

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:43 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Found a Perfect Alternative to Evil Thermostat Snap Ring

I actually found this a long time ago, but kept forgetting to post it. Its a spiral internal retaining ring that costs $4 from McMaster. Here are the pics. It can be installed and removed with one or two small flat bladed screw drivers.

No mods are needed to the water pump, thermostat, or gasket. In these pics is a brand new never used water pump Tstat and gasket. The tstat in these pics is the kind where it has a U shaped gasket that goes around it. The ring is a tight fit, it has to be pushed into the groove a bit due to the gasket but it stays in. The thermostat doesnt wiggle or move AT ALL. This exact ring has done around 5000km in my last engine, and it will do many more. It is stainless steel. Easy to remove, as you can see it has a notch on the end that you use the screwdriver on. Its got some spring, but as you can see it doesnt gouge up the water pump, ruin tools, or draw blood and tears.

The part number from www.McMaster.com is 92370A261. $3.92 each, plus shipping. If there is lots of interest I can order a bunch with my next McMaster order. McMaster is also the best source bar none for the good quality hose clamps (I will make another post with part numbers for those later).

Old 07-04-2010, 07:08 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I never had much trouble with the old snap ring.... after I made the correct tool.

I still might switch to this though. Great find!

Quick Reply: Found a Perfect Alternative to Evil Thermostat Snap Ring