Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did I do wrong? - TB/BB/WP Change

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Quikzilver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I do wrong? - TB/BB/WP Change

Recently, I finished changing my timing belt, balancing belt and water pump. Now, I have some issues that maybe you all can help me with...
1. Voltage Gauge - My voltage gauge is reading a little low (reads just above 12, not in the middle like it did before the work). I checked the voltage at the battery and am getting 13.1-13.5 at the battery. It seems to be charging, but the gauge is not reading properly. Reasons?
2. Engine Temp - I replaced all of the heater hoses and radiator hoses when I did the work (vacuum hoses too). I bled the coolant and seem to have put in more water than what I took out. I went for a quick drive and it went right back up (almost into the red), bled again and added another 2 gallons of water. No water is going into the oil, no leaks...I've put 4 gallons in and took maybe 3 out. Still need to see if the last bleed did the trick.
3. Belt Tension - What should the outer belt tension be? I have a kricket tool, so I can measure, but can't find what it should be. I think it is a little tight, as I can barely turn the middle of the belt 90 degrees. I originally thought the voltage issue was due to a loose belt, tightened it up with no difference.
4. Air conditioning - I've added 3 cans of Freeze12 and still isn't blowing cold. Just a couple of bubbles in the sight glass. Pressure levels are good. Compressor engages fine. Ideas?
5. Vibration at 4000+ rpm - With the clutch disengaged, the motor purrs. At 4,000rpm or higher with the car in gear, I get a bad vibration. Did I screw up the balancing belt? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Quikzilver; 07-04-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added #5
Old 07-04-2010, 02:08 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quikzilver
Recently, I finished changing my timing belt, balancing belt and water pump. Now, I have some issues that maybe you all can help me with...
1. Voltage Gauge - My voltage gauge is reading a little low (reads just above 12, not in the middle like it did before the work). I checked the voltage at the battery and am getting 13.1-13.5 at the battery. It seems to be charging, but the gauge is not reading properly. Reasons?
2. Engine Temp - I replaced all of the heater hoses and radiator hoses when I did the work (vacuum hoses too). I bled the coolant and seem to have put in more water than what I took out. I went for a quick drive and it went right back up (almost into the red), bled again and added another 2 gallons of water. No water is going into the oil, no leaks...I've put 4 gallons in and took maybe 3 out. Still need to see if the last bleed did the trick.
3. Belt Tension - What should the outer belt tension be? I have a kricket tool, so I can measure, but can't find what it should be. I think it is a little tight, as I can barely turn the middle of the belt 90 degrees. I originally thought the voltage issue was due to a loose belt, tightened it up with no difference.
4. Air conditioning - I've added 3 cans of Freeze12 and still isn't blowing cold. Just a couple of bubbles in the sight glass. Pressure levels are good. Compressor engages fine. Ideas?
5. Vibration at 4000+ rpm - With the clutch disengaged, the motor purrs. At 4,000rpm or higher with the car in gear, I get a bad vibration. Did I screw up the balancing belt? What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance!
1) Clean your grounds.. it will fix this

2) 4 GALLONS???? The entire system capacity is just under 2 Gallons.. You still have air in the system, what thermostat did you install? is it installed the correct way?

3) Timing belt should just turn about 90 degrees, Balance shaft belt should be able to be turned 180 degrees or so... AC/Alt and PS belts should be tight enough to not squeal...

4) Heater control clips.. search for them on Clarks Garage for replacement, they are about $1 a piece... Don't go based on bubbles in the sight glass, R134 runs totally different than R12, bubble method doesn't work with 134...
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/hvac-01.htm
scroll down to "Full Heat at All Temperature Settings (1985.5 and Newer 944s)"

5) High RPM vibration is drivetrain related, NOT balance shaft related... if it were balance shafts you would have vibration at idle too... Double check your BS alignment to the marks, but it is most likely not BS vibration at 4K... more likely to be Clutch, torque tube bearing, or transaxle related... ENGINE MOUNTS, check you engine mounts as well...
Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well i can't believe you put in 4 gallons of coolant, since the system capacity is about 2 gallons or 8 liters.

The vibration issue to me sounds like your balance shafts are out of alignment/you have a pulley 180 degrees out. Remember the top pulley should have the "o" in the circle and the lower pulley should have the "o" in the rectangle.

I usually set the drive belts to deflect with your finger about 1/2" or so.

The trick to bleeding the coolant system is to completely remove the bleed screw out of the neck (i do this with the front end still elevated). Fill the coolant, let it eventually run out the bleed screw hole, and then insert the bleed screw and tighten down....usually that is all you have to do to bleed the system. Crank the heater on high and let things circulate and that should be that. Maybe you have to crack the bleeder once when the car warms up, but that should be it. If it is still overheating after that, something is installed wrong.

I am guessing the voltage issue is coincidence. Maybe the regulator is starting to stick. Drive it a bit and see if it gets better.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:14 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
1)
5) High RPM vibration is drivetrain related, NOT balance shaft related... if it were balance shafts you would have vibration at idle too... Double check your BS alignment to the marks, but it is most likely not BS vibration at 4K... more likely to be Clutch, torque tube bearing, or transaxle related...
it could be balance shafts. my car acted like this when the lower balance shaft was out.

was it like this before you did the timing belt?
Old 07-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Quikzilver
Advanced

Cooling system is good now.

Vibration was not there before the belt change, so I guess I will check out to see if I have a shaft 180* out of time.

I will also check the terminals....hope it is that easy.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Quikzilver
Advanced

Update:
1. I think I need a new ground cable...found a lot of the wire covering at the rear of the motor cracked off.
2. Cooling system is good now.
3. I think it is good now...no squeal.
4. AC still isn't blowing cold...I have checked the HVAC clips as suggested, but nothing. They are good. Can't figure it out. I should have cold AC blowing but nope. Back to the drawing board on this one.
5. Haven't bothered looking much into the vibration. I generally shift around 4,000 rpms, so I will look into it later down the road.

Any further ideas on the AC would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: What did I do wrong? - TB/BB/WP Change