Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you install "anti-squeal" pads with your brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 02:41 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Question Do you install "anti-squeal" pads with your brake pads?

I'm about to throw some MetalMaster brake pads in my car and was wondering if they should be installed as is or should "anti-squal/dampening" pads be put on the backs of them? Will one way offer more "feel" or responsiveness than the other?

I have non-M030 front calipers from a 968 - rears are stock.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't install the anti-squeal backing with them.

I have KFP intermediate pads installed without the quieters, and have learned to live with the sound, and with people telling me I need new pads.

-Z.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:23 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Z-man:
<strong>I wouldn't install the anti-squeal backing with them.
-Z.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Z - why not? I had some of that sticky stuff put on the backs of my pads a while ago. It may need it again because I had 'em out the other day and it's starting to squeal. Does it hurt the braking performance?

Just curious.

-Matt
Old 10-11-2002, 03:25 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
just paint the back of the pad with anti-seize paste.

jason
Old 10-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<strong>

Z - why not? I had some of that sticky stuff put on the backs of my pads a while ago. It may need it again because I had 'em out the other day and it's starting to squeal. Does it hurt the braking performance?

Just curious.

-Matt</strong><hr></blockquote>
I'm more concerned about braking than anything else. The more stuff in the calipers, the greater chance of something getting moved out of place.

We are talking about the pads (size of the brake pad backing with the round thingies on them, that go between the brake pad and the pistons, right?

-Z.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I simply re-use the ones I have with a little of the anit-squeel paste used instead of the factory adhesive. Don't think it really affects performance in any way, but I could be wrong. My brakes have always felt fine. I also use MM's on my car.

As for moving around, since they insert into the brake piston, I do not think they will move very much....

My $.02
Old 10-11-2002, 05:53 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Riff:
<strong>As for moving around, since they insert into the brake piston, I do not think they will move very much....

My $.02</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mine move around. The move forward and back, at least one pad on each side, creating a clicking noise that sound similar to a CV joint gone bad. I removed them, put some cloth tape (small pieces) around the outside of the pad, and slid them back in. No noise. The only problem is I have to do this every 8 months or so when the tape wears out. I just did it last weekend, why it's on my mind. I was getting tired of people looking at my car not for it's good looks, but because I sounded like a retard with my wheels clanging.

-Matt
Old 10-11-2002, 10:02 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt-

Are we talking about the vibration dampners or the actual brake pad? I was talking about the vibe dampners that are on the 4 piston brakes.

Cheers,
Old 10-12-2002, 11:57 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I use the stuff that you spray on the back of each pad. It does a good job of eliminating the squeal, and I don't believe it has any detrimental effect whatsoever on the braking.

Quick Reply: Do you install "anti-squeal" pads with your brake pads?