Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:49 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sticky shifter?

85.5 944, ok my shifter seems to be getting worst, 1st is very hard to get into, second almost as bad, 2nd to 3rd is find, 3rd to 4th is fine, 4th to 5th is fine, reverse is hard too.
so I read Clarks Garage on inspection and replacement the shift lever, should I just replace the shifter and components or should I install a "Short Shifter? I don't want to replace the shifter and not be able to get it to the shop if I mess it up. is every thing done from inside the shifter boot?
Pros, Cons?
ease of install of both?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:28 AM
James Chimney
Pro

I removed the leather and rubber boots and find that the shifter it self is hitting the rubber against the left side sand right sides of the frame, I removed the rubber boot and now it works much better (rubber boot was worn through)
so where it the adjustment for the side to side play of a shifter?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:38 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to adjust the linkage at the transmission. It's not that hard. Try to get someone to help you out in the cockpit to see where the lever is when you make the adjustments.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's 2 ways to put on a short shifter. One way, the other way, or both.

1: You can pick up a shifter lever that is simply shorter than the stock one in the cab. This is a simple job that can be done from in the cab with a few tools on your lap. This shortens the throw only because the lever is shorter. But it still throws as far as the stock one, but your hand just doesn't have to move as far. Kind of a band-aid upgrade in my mind, but still looks nice.

2: You can also get a different linkage that attaches to the transmission at the back of the car. This one actually shortens the throw of the lever by whatever % the seller claims it to be. I opted to go this route. I got mine off good ol' ebay for $80. The seller claimed it shortens the throw by 35% over stock. I was actually quite impressed by the outcome. It also makes the shifts feel 'tighter', unlike my old linkage which would sort of flop into gear. The only issue with this route is that, like installing anything on our cars, it's kind of a PITA putting it on. Of course, I only had the car on low profile ramps, it was night, and I had to hack saw a bit of the end of the linkage off to make it fit right. Well worth it in the end though I think.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Still having a problem with the shifter hitting the left side wall under the rubber boot when shifting into 1st n 2nd? I need to adjust the shifter away from the left wall?
the plastic cup underneath looks fine and so does the pin that comes off the shifter on the right side.
any ideas?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:15 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 278 Posts

Adjustment on top of the transaxle. It's the adjustment with the bolt and nut in the slot.

Quick Reply: Sticky shifter?