Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I may be crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I may be crazy

I know this is off topic for this forum however...

I'm going to go look at a Maserati Biturbo on Monday. The paint and interior are perfect. It is said to be in great mechanical order. I had two friends back in the day that owned one. One loved it and the other hated his. Has anyone out there had one.

I have compared prices for parts and It about the same as my 944. The clutch is half of that for a 944. Like the 944, I have heard horror stories.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:16 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Had one. It was garbage. A girls car that doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up. I have a geat book called Crap Cars. The Biturbo is #2 and even that seems generous.

Originally Posted by Kevsporsche944
I know this is off topic for this forum however...

I'm going to go look at a Maserati Biturbo on Monday. The paint and interior are perfect. It is said to be in great mechanical order. I had two friends back in the day that owned one. One loved it and the other hated his. Has anyone out there had one.

I have compared prices for parts and It about the same as my 944. The clutch is half of that for a 944. Like the 944, I have heard horror stories.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:02 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

My cousin had one and I agree with "Live"...garbage!

When he (my cousin) first got it we were impressed with the name though soon after depressed with the car.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:36 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No personal experience but it did make it into the Time "50 Worst Cars of All Time" list...

http://www.time.com
Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 AM
944meister
Pro

"a version of the Chrysler Le Baron (a flaccid, front-drive, four-cylinder loser-mobile) with the proud Mazzer Trident on the nose. Finally, sir, have you no shame?"
Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

The BiTurbo was not the same as the Chrysler / Maserati abomination. The Bi Turbo was a legit Maserati, but it was an unreliable mess. To me, it's the rare car that you should be paid to buy.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:24 AM
techartisan
Racer

Originally Posted by 944meister
"a version of the Chrysler Le Baron (a flaccid, front-drive, four-cylinder loser-mobile) with the proud Mazzer Trident on the nose. Finally, sir, have you no shame?"
There they are talking about the Chrysler TC by maserati. This car deserves the "its not a real mas" far more then the biturbo....its a handmade le baron...never even had a maserati engine.

The biturbo was a 6cyl...it is definately a car people love to hate....usually people from one of three schools:

1. People who formed their opinion on early model biturbos, like the 84 time ragged on....they had alot of problems from the factory that were worked out in later cars...

2. Those who look at the biturbo in comparison to the bora, merak, ghibli (not to be confused with the ghibli II which is a biturbo variant)...amazing V8 italian beasts..this car was an lower level offering....and definately not in the same class....or performance nor price.

3. People who have no idea about the cars at all but have read lots of "they suck"....alot like our cars

Ive had a close relationship with, though not personally owned, 3 "biturbos" including the infamous 84 (hated), and a beloved 89 222 Id gladly trade my porsche for. Much like our cars they were and are finicky high maintenance vehicles that demand love and attention at a high price if youre not the one doing all the work...and much like people who buy porsches most people who buy maseratis are expecting power and luxury....not a greasemonkey lifestyle.

I think the following article is a bit more fair in its discussion of the biturbo
http://www.carthrottle.com/retrospec...erati-biturbo/

If you like the look and understand the commitment mechanically...I wouldnt be too discouraged. Like our cars its getting easier and cheaper to find good condition biturbos, and parts cars, which you will definitely want are getting more common as well....

you could always try http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=16 instead of rennlist for opinions
Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the years I've only read bad things about it. I hear it does electrics like Lucas with an Italian accent.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting article. What is it like for parts availability? I would guess the majority of 944s parts are much easier to come by (and probably much cheaper). r
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 AM
techartisan
Racer

Main electric issue is the fusebox...and of course, now, old wires with cracking insulation....sound familiar? :P
Lots of parts cars, pretty decent collection of parts on ebay....
MIE Corporation and Maserati Club International seems to be their goto....
http://www.maseratinet.com//s-23-maserati-parts.aspx
Old 06-20-2010, 12:46 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to desire one. From what I read, avoid the early cars at all costs, with the blow-thru carbs. I always wondered if they'd accomodate an 3.8 BOP or 4.3 Chev? They are nice looking cars, but... On the other hand, to someone used to the peculiarities of 944's, they probably aren't THAT different, except in parts cost/availability.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Kevsporsche944
Rennlist Member

I'm not looking at the Chrysler Maserati. That is just plan ugly. I'm also looking for a Lancia Scorpion / Montecarlo. But finding parts for it are worse than the Maserati.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 PM
techartisan
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevsporsche944
I'm not looking at the Chrysler Maserati. That is just plan ugly. I'm also looking for a Lancia Scorpion / Montecarlo. But finding parts for it are worse than the Maserati.
theres an 89 228 not too far from you....the 228 is a 2 door biturbo built on a 4 door chassis for more room and luxury... pretty rare 469 built.
The owner poorly copied and pasted all sorts of irrelevant information....a hodge podge of non model year specific data....but here you go
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1801007256.html

It took forever for me to find this again but here is one of the best technical articles Ive read on the biturbo lineage
http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/Biturbo_Dossier.htm

Quick Reply: I may be crazy