Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car overheated - what am I missing.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:45 PM
elzergone
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J Berk
I recently had an overheating problem that turned out to relate to the fact that the PO had apparently replaced the waterpump with the $40.00 variety with the plastic impeller.

The impeller's vanes were almost completely gone....it would move enough water to idle cool but at 60mph for any lenght of time it would overheat.

Interestingly enough...at 80mph it would run cool enough to drive and that is how I made it home!

Note that while overheating it would blow cool air from the dash because no water was circulating.
I didn't even know there WAS a cheapo water pump for these cars. That's disturbing. I don't *think* that's the case... but its something I'll keep in mind that's for sure. I do get hot air out of the dash. Going up or down. So I think I have most of the air out.

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Sounds like you've got the air out! But as far as going to the last white line on the hill, what temperature was it outdoors when this happened? Were you really flogging it?
It was low 50's, at night. Not hot at all. I wasn't really flogging it, more trying to emulate what I usually encounter on my way to work - being stuck behind slower moving traffic in an awkward gear range.

I guess that's why the temp and low oil pressure seem worrying.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, I could not get up to the last line in 50 deg weather if I put a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator! I think either your thermostat is stuck or defective, or your radiator is plugged (airside or water side).
Old 06-20-2010, 03:08 PM
elzergone
Pro

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Man, I could not get up to the last line in 50 deg weather if I put a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator! I think either your thermostat is stuck or defective, or your radiator is plugged (airside or water side).
Well I've verified that both the upper and lower radiator hoses are hot, so would that indicate that the thermostat is working correctly? Or do I not have a clear understanding of that... (very possible)
Old 06-20-2010, 03:53 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Thermostat stuck only part-way open, or not opening fully; radiator just not able to reject heat fast enough.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:45 PM
elzergone
Pro

Welp, guess I'll start with the radiator... atleast thats somewhat easier to take out.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 PM
elzergone
Pro

Is the recommended way to flush the radiator by taking it out of the car? I guess I dont have alot of faith in those flush-in-a-bottle things you just add to the coolant.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:35 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

As hard as it is to get air out of the system, it could be just as hard to get caustic or acid out of the system using d-i-y stuff. It's surely safer to take the rad out, and honestly not that much work. Shops have much better chemicals than you can buy over the counter. But while it's out, you have a golden opportunity to get at the thermostat...
Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Time out. What started all of this? Did it just start overheating one day, or after some work was done on it?
Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 AM
elzergone
Pro

OK!

Update. Its no longer overheating. I took the radiator out today and flushed it, and blew out tons and tons of sand and crap and who knows what else from the fins. Put it back in, filled it, bled it, and drove it, and its doing fine now.

HOWEVER. I seem to have damaged the thermofan switch in the process.

The fans never turn off. I have to either pull the relay or unplug them at the switch - which is tricky when the fans are running...

Is it ok to drive the car until I can get the thermofan switch replaced? Is there anything else it could be?

BTW thank you everyone for all your help on this. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Car overheated - what am I missing.