Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Engineered in or broken down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003 | 12:12 PM
kgosselin
Advanced

Post HELP! Engineered in or broken down?

Sparked by a post about lightbulbls under the dash I crawled under the dash of my 87 951 and found only a leak.

The leak was clutch fluid. It was coming out of the boot that seals the clutch rod to the firewall. I dried it off and found that it leaked only a drop or two after a 8 mile drive.

The reason I asked if it was engineered in is that the hole in the boot it is leaking out of seems factory.

Help? Suggestions? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2003 | 01:00 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Shouldn't be leaking at all. That hole is an air breather for the seal. Your clutch master cyl is likely about to fail.
Old 05-05-2003 | 01:09 PM
kgosselin
Advanced

Thanks. The master cylinder was what I was thinking.

I just checked, there only about $60.

Any idea how hard or easy one is to put in?
Old 05-05-2003 | 01:43 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Putting it in is medium easy to medium hard, depending on the 951's access to the two firewall nuts & studs,and one hard line. I dunno how much other plumbing you've got in the way; the 968 was only difficult because of this. Good sockets, extensions, knuckles, and some gum, rubber cement, or duct tape in the socket will help.

If the clutch MC going, then you may as well replace the clutch slave cylinder as well, since it likely won't be far behind. It's an easy DIY if you've got ramps; just remember to disconnect the battery first; some prefer to pull the starter to get better access.

The hard part is bleeding the system afterwards. The Motive Power Bleeder is highly recommended, tho' you might get lucky.

Be careful with the braided supply line from the brake fluid reservoir to the MC; I'm not the only one to have broken the nipple off of the reservoir.....8(.

BTW, there are _two_ engineered-in features here; the hole is an air breather for the bellows, as Dave said. And the system is designed so that you run low on fliuid for the clutch before the brakes suck air, so you'll know to add fliud...8).

Jim, "There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
Old 05-05-2003 | 02:02 PM
kgosselin
Advanced

Thanks for the info.

I ordered the slave and master cylinders and will tackle it this weekend.

-Kevin

Quick Reply: HELP! Engineered in or broken down?