Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: laptop reccomendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 07:37 PM
bs
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post OT: laptop reccomendation

well i really need a computer because i'm sick of having to use other people's to check my email. and i'm gonna be travelling for awhile, so i'd like a laptop.

i know this is a car forum, but i know there are also a lot of tech/it people on here so i thought i'd throw out this question and see what kind of response i can get. but before i do, i'd like to say that every laptop thread i found in the archives quickly degenerated into a PC vs mac argument so i will start by stating that i am ONLY interested in PC's because of PERSONAL PREFERENCE and i don't need anyone telling me that i really want a mac and 50 other people telling them they are stupid.

please share advice as to which of the major manufacturers produce the most reliable product, and where i can find good deals. i'm not really interested in ebay or anything refurbished. i want to spend less than a grand. i don't need a lot of power since all i will do is email, web browsing, gps mapping, ms office, mp3 downloading, etc. i won't be playing any games or running big numerical simulations. a cd writer or dvd player would be nice.

what i have gleaned so far is that toshiba sucks, gateway and dell have their followers and their haters, and ibm is good if you can stand the price.

i would appreciate any further advice as to brands and models, or what web sites have good sales on the slightly outdated hardware i'm looking for.

thanks.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have always had good luck withe Compaq's Armada series. A little expensive for the technology, but it was practically bullet proof. I used it daily and it went everywhere (as a subcontraced Network Admin I had to carry my own.) It is now in Korea with my son after 5 years of duty in MY softsided briefcase. I would recommend the Armada's as they are built for business use and Compaq replaced my display after it was out of warranty due to the fact it was an Armada- Not the presario series (which are junk IMHO).

Compaq does sell refurb's with a full warranty at <a href="http://www.compaqworks.com" target="_blank">www.compaqworks.com</a> - a little cheaper than retail. I also used to spec Dell's because of thier exemplary customer service.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:56 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

uhh... I have a tendancy to stear clear of compaq stuff. All the ones that I have seen have looked likt total $hit. I have a HP Pavilion N3210 (REALLY old) that gets the job done with Linux. Look into Toshiba, HP, Dell and IBM. Keep an eye on eBay too. You can find some good older stuff there.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Go over to the arstechnica.com forums in Other Hardware. Let them know what you want, they'll give you all the info you need.

Off hand, buy the cheapest one you can find (Dell, IBM, Gateway or something--not Compaq) and put 256 megs of RAM in there. You'll be straight.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Alex- I completly agree. Most of Compaq's stuff is overpriced junq. I had to use a Compaq as we were an authorized reseller. I purchased My Armada as I have seen them take so much abuse in the field and survive. The rest of Compaq's stuff (except Data center servers) are pretty bad.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ben,

I'm one of those who like Dell.... they excell from the service standpoint (at least towards small businesses). Compaq/HP have their issues, don't often support their products (I'm looking for drives for a NEW laptop right now.. they don't have them on their site)... Gateway has been beaten at their own game by Dell (though the laptop my GF has has been without issue). There are lots of off-brands as well (Aldi food stores have been selling computers/laptops with great specs for REALLY cheap this past year), but you tend to get what you pay for.

Dell often has lots of coupons and deals (one day only type things), that if you're up for watching you can snag some good deals. An example would be this Palm m515 w/ ti hard case and 128mb memory... eBay puts all this stuff at about $450, and yet I was able to have it shipped for $305 (after about $100 in discounts).

For instance, right now there's a Dell Inspiron 1100 w/ Pentium2.4, 256mb memory, 15" display, DVD/CD-RW, 30gb HD, etc... good computer, for $965 shipped. Only has XP home and office works (both suck), but it'd do all you'd need or want for the next ~2 years without issue... and probably3~4 years before you'd absolutly HAVE to upgrade to keep up with changing programs/technology.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:03 PM
sharky47
Set to Full-Auto
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 67 Posts
I bought a Dell Inspiron 8100 a little over a year ago when they first came out. I absolutely love it. I have had no real problems with it and it works great. It is also very easily upgradeable, unusual for a laptop. Anyway, just my opinion.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Variance
Racer

If you're willing to spend the money, I reccomend a Sony Vaio. I beleive (haven't checked in a while) there is a model that has a thin bottom attachment that adds extra drives and ports. I knoow several people with Vaios and they are glad they put out a bit of extra cash.
-=Kenneth=-
Old 04-10-2003, 08:30 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Dell, Dell, Dell.... after many HP's (good), Compaq's (so-so), Toshiba (good),,, I just went to DELL. Check out their Refurbished site - same warranty, and often clearout units. For less than $1000 you can get a P4-2Ghz, 15" XGA, 256 DDR. 30 Gb, DVD+, WinOS, and full Dell warranty. Plus all the options and support.

It's a deal... no wonder they are market dominant!
Old 04-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Mouthpiece
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have to agree about Dell. I have had two Inspiron's and both have been excellent. Important to a laptop, they are durable (and can survive being thrown like a discus...don't ask). I would stay away from Compaq. I gave my old one to my daughters and am constantly fixing it for them.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have an IBM laptop at work. 14 months of flawless performance. FWIW.

I've also had Dells and Toshibas. They worked fine also.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:44 PM
athens944
Pro

Dell has a full page ad in IBD (Investors Business Daily) Advertising a Inspirion 1100 Notebook for $699 after mail-in rebate & discount (regularly $899). This notebook has a Pentium 4 processor at 2 GHz, 128 MB SDRAM, 30 G HD, Windows XP & Free 3-5 day shipping. The E value code is: 16688-S80406 (use this to get special price) Man, I need one of these.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:46 PM
athens944
Pro

check it out at:

<a href="http://WWW.dell.com/ibdoffer" target="_blank">WWW.dell.com/ibdoffer</a> or you can call

1-877-389-3355

P.S. No affiliation, just thought this was a great deal!
Old 04-10-2003, 08:55 PM
83Green944
Instructor

We have a Sony and have had pretty good luck with it. If you aren't looking for a powerhouse, the Sony might meet your requirements. Usually a bit cheaper than the big 3 (IBM, Dell, Toshiba)
This one comes with a docking station and hte price is in Canadian dollars
<a href="http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=1&WLBS=fs%2Dweb6&sku_id=0665000FS10 022064&catid=&newdeptid=1" target="_blank">http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=1&WLBS=fs%2Dweb6&sku_id=0665000FS10 022064&catid=&newdeptid=1</a>
Old 04-10-2003, 08:57 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always had good experiences with Dell.

A friend of mine just picked up an inspiron with the wide screen 14 or 15" screen, 512 megs of RAM, 40 gig HD, etc...its very cool. 1900x1200 i think resolution, im not sure. I haven't had a chance to play with it too much, but it definetely looks like they set their aim on the Crapintosh Itanium with this one...from the wide screen to the fake brushed aluminum casing.

I've been using dells since my first computer, 9 years ago. Never had any problems with the computer or their tech support. Although I've heard their tech support is getting a bit worse recently. I still think they're ahead of the others though.

Quick Reply: OT: laptop reccomendation