Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tensioner bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 07:32 PM
TestDriver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post tensioner bolt

Hello all,

New to this list but hopefully will have something to offer back.

For now, I have a question regarding the mounting bolt on the motor side of the alternator/ac compressor belt tensioner. It fell completely off and I don't know what it looks like. A thread comparison shows it to be a 7mm*1.00 thread (is this a commonly used size on 944s ?) but the hole on the adjuster is 10.0mm. I don't have any 7mm stuff lying around that I could sleeve so I want to know if drilling this out and tapping to 8mm or 10mm is a viable option.

The culprit for it falling off was probably excessive vibration. I got to looking into my newly acquired 1998 n/a 944 trying to figure out why it vibrated so much and found the lower balance shaft out of time by a significant margin. Once I get things back in order, what other things should I look into that might have tried to shake themselves to death?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:10 AM
TestDriver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no way of telling how many times this post was viewed or how many people might have interest about this topic. But since I have an upadate, I'll follow up my own querie.

I ended up tapping the hole up to 8mm (did not need to drill) and using a backing lock nut to make sure it never happened again. I also used a 10mm collar with the bolt.

I reset the timing on the balance shafts and now it's as smooth as a 15 year old car could be expected to be. Oh yea, the previous was a typo. My 944 is actually of 1988 vintage.

Quick Reply: tensioner bolt