Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the shop with my broken starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003 | 03:16 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Unhappy Went to the shop with my broken starter

Today I drove about 1 hour each way to the shop that installed my starter and did my valve work so they could "take a look at it." I got there, and they pretty much just said "Well we didn't have to pull it to do the valve job so we're not responsible."

What, they couldn't tell me that over the phone?!?! The Bosch warehouse doesn't have any solenoids in stock, so the guy is supposed to call me back with a price and how long it would take to get here. Luckily, Part Werks, which is about 10 min. from my house has one on ebay right now so I think I'm going to go that route.

Wouldn't they have to pull the starter to do a valve job to install the flywheel lock? I think they may be trying to take advantage of me because I'm only 17. When they call back, I'm going to ask them this and see what they say. Just wish I would have thought of it at the shop.

Also, at least one of the screws holding the solenoid on is stripped. What would be the best way to get it out, and what do I need to replace it?
Old 04-24-2003 | 03:36 PM
qoncept944
Pro

If they were doing anything with the flywheel, your starter would've had to come off.

When I went to my prom, a bolt fell out or something and the rear passenger shock ended up through the wheel well in my old Skylark, screwed up the body and destroyed the tire. All the fault of the shop. My dad went in and raised hell. At first the owner just threatened to kick him out, but blatant negligence being shouted about in front of a dozen customers doesn't go over real well, so he ended up quieting down and taking him in to his office. In the end, everything was fixed, I had a rental to drive while it was being done, and my dad got new tires all around on his truck.
Old 04-24-2003 | 05:18 PM
Tadi
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by iloveporsches:
<strong>Luckily, Part Werks, which is about 10 min. from my house has one on ebay right now so I think I'm going to go that route.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I don't have any first hand experience with them, but the general consensus I have gathered from this board on that company is to stay away from them. Again, no experience personally. I hate spreading false or exagerrated claims about people or businesses, but the negative reaction to that company is close to universal.
Old 04-24-2003 | 05:38 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

in other words if you aren't happy don't expect "a rental to drive while it"....
Old 04-24-2003 | 05:56 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Tadi:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by iloveporsches:
<strong>Luckily, Part Werks, which is about 10 min. from my house has one on ebay right now so I think I'm going to go that route.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I don't have any first hand experience with them, but the general consensus I have gathered from this board on that company is to stay away from them. Again, no experience personally. I hate spreading false or exagerrated claims about people or businesses, but the negative reaction to that company is close to universal.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Well I think it's safer because I'll be dealing with them in person instead of over the internet. I noticed that they had something like 90 neg. feedback on Ebay. However, looking through it, I saw that at least 10 was form one guy who won multiple items. Another guy had 5 or 6 items that he complained about. Maybe these people just ahd bad luck?
Old 04-24-2003 | 10:05 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Tadi, I have an idea: would any parent or Uncle come to your aid, in dealing with this? Sounds like the shop is responsible to me. If you get someone to back you up, then usually they will back down. Just makes sure anything you have done is done correctly.

I hate to see anyone try and take advantage of others; that's just rediculous!

- Julie
Old 04-25-2003 | 08:50 PM
Tadi
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Devia:
<strong>Tadi, I have an idea: would any parent or Uncle come to your aid, in dealing with this?
- Julie</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Im not sure my parent or uncle would be up for helping iloveporsches with his problem...
Old 04-25-2003 | 10:00 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

PartWerks is actually a horrible company. They still owe me $200 core for control arms from like a year and a half ago. Dozens of other people from Rennlist alone have had similar or worse experiences.

I'm sure if you go in person and make sure they're not selling you a broken part, you'll be fine.
Old 04-27-2003 | 05:54 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Damnit! I am so sorry I keep getting names confused! I meant Iloveporsches parents, grrr.

- Julie

Quick Reply: Went to the shop with my broken starter