Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: need some common sense - 97 GMC Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 11:07 PM
Mike 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post OT: need some common sense - 97 GMC Jimmy

Hi guys...I need some info on a situation that happened to a friend of mine. Last night as we were driving home in his 1997 GMC Jimmy, a check light came on...for the engine, and the car started over heating. So I open the hood, and check the Engine Coolant fluid level....and the container was almost empty...with just a bit of red fluid in there. His book says to add some "DEX COOL" but we didn't have any, so we added a bit of water just in the meantime so he could buy the proper antifreeze. Anyways, he went to stealer this morning, and they said the container should be empty since it is a "Pollution collector", and is supposed to leak. They changed some anti pollution hoses and left the reservoir empty! Then the battery light came on, and they said he needed a new alternator, and changed that too. Total bill
900$!. Now is it just me or are all engine coolant reservoirs supposed to be full with the proper antifreeze? Do you guys think he got scammed big time? And if so, what should I do now for him? (He's an elderly man....no knowledge in cars)

Anyone with a 1997 GMC Jimmy? The manual says to add DEX COOL anitfreeze to this reservoir?? Am I loosing it or what?
Thanks and sorry for the off post.
Mike

1984 944
Old 09-09-2002, 11:16 PM
dave120
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm way off or not but my '96 S10 (same engine as GMC Sonoma/Jimmy assuming its the v6 you're talking about) that I had before this S2 didn't have any pollution collector on it that I can remember. It had the coolant overflow tank that if I recall was usually almost full all the time.

As much as I liked having that 4.3L V6 and hopping it up and could outrun V6 mustangs and Camaros with it, it was one headache after another. The entire A/C system blew up at one point..like $1000 just for the parts, we put it in ourselves. So having experience with these things I don't find it at all hard to believe that things go bad in it like the alternator..had that happen too. Along with a distributor and plugs that were history after only 40k miles..

Now our 2001 Yukon is impressive..apparently with the new lineup GMC got their acts together and started building things decent but from 94-98 or so they just sucked IMO...

Quick Reply: OT: need some common sense - 97 GMC Jimmy