Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Warning Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 09:02 PM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Dash Warning Light Question

My question is about the big red "!" light in the instrument panel. I have an intermittant check engine light that comes on then goes away with no real symptoms. When it comes on the big red "!" light does NOT come on.

It was my understanding that if any of the lights in the guage cluster showed something wrong then the warning light would go on as well. Is this correct? Does the fact that the warning light doesn't come on mean that the check engine light is a false alarm?

All help appreciated.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:07 PM
rihaa
Racer

BUMP!!!
Old 09-11-2002, 06:20 PM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

Because I have an 85, I don't have a "check engine" light, but I assume it's like any other car which does,,,so. The big red " ! " is a master warning light, designed to draw your attention to the fact that you have an imminent catastrophic failure pending ( loss of oil pressure, overheat ). The "check engine" light indicates that the ECM has seen a sensor value which is out of parameter, and could indicate a defective sensor or open / short curcuit in the sensor wiring, but in any case not imminently catastrophic. Just the same, a CE light which although intermittant, comes on regularly, should be diagnosed and the cause repaired.

Quick Reply: Dash Warning Light Question