Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

odometer not broken?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:01 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odometer not broken?

The odometer and tripometer stopped working on my 88 N/A. took it apart to get a gear count and found the gears not to be broken. I turned the worm gear and both worked. Am I missing something? Is there another gear I should be looking for?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the gear slip off?
If you take the speedo by itself can you spin the bottom gear and have the rest of them work properly?
I assume your speedometer works fine right?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:42 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

speedo works fine. not sure what u mean by the bottom gear. when I tried to turn the gears the worm gear was connected to they wouldn't turn. only when I turned the worm gear. just noticed your the guy from burlington. whiting here.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

hahaha oh yeah.
With the speedo completely away from the worm gear you should be able to turn the lowest gear (looking as if it was standing upright) and have the rest turn.
If you took it completely apart and none of the gears were broken then it must just have just slipped or something.
It's a pretty simple setup kinda... if all the gears have all their teeth (even though it's only the top one that breaks) and the worm gear spins then the odo should work properly too.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:41 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

I took the speedo out of the cluster but I didn't take the speedo itself apart. The original owner had pretty extensive records and I checked them. Seems over the years he had a few problems with the odometer. At one point had the cluster sent out but it doesn't say what for. If the gear everyone has a problem with looks more like a sprocket that a gear, it looks new. Nice and white, not yellow. should I take the speedo apart? Is it possible the motor that drives it is bad? Any way to check it?
Thanks. really appreciate the help!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Calmchaos
Rennlist Member

If the speedometer works the electric from the speed impulse stuff should be working fine.
That is to the best of my knowledge. ^^ Not 100% on that. ^^

I would take it apart and check to see if something slipped or jammed up the gears. The hardest part is taking the needle off. I found the safest way to do it is prying it off with a fork; if you use your fingers it can break the black plastic piece.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had one odometer jam when the number wheels slipped to one side, causing the gears to not mesh properly. Moving the number wheels back to the proper place un-jammed it. I also put a small wire around the number wheel shaft to keep them from slipping back over to where it could jam. All this was done with the speedometer disassembled of course.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:45 PM
aljolyn
Instructor

Found the problem. Took the speedo apart. When I took off the needle and black dial face there were 4 screws holding the odometer assembly to the speedo. One of the screws was loose and I guess when it was all assembled and installed it allowed just enough play between the worm drive and gear to not engage. Works fine now. Did the foil trick for the dash lighing while it was apart. Big difference! Thanks for all the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: odometer not broken?